Sunday, June 2, 2019

6-2-19 Let my People go, so that they may worship me!

Scripture  Exodus 3:7-12      

What is the greatest event in the OT?
          The Exodus. (EXPLAIN THE EXODUS)
What was the Exodus all about?
It was NOT about showing God’s superior power over the Egyptian magicians.
It was NOT about showing God’s power over creation (Red Sea)
It was NOT even about the people being freed and going to the promised land (otherwise they would have done it quickly.
What was the Exodus all about?
It was about God’s people being set free for one reason ONLY…so they could worship him.
Go back to Moses being called at the burning bush - Exodus 3:7-12      
          The Lord  said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey — the home of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. And now the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them. So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt."
  But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" 12 And God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain."
God’s word to Pharaoh - Exodus 4:22-23 Then say to Pharaoh, 'This is what the Lord  says: “Israel is my firstborn son, and I told you, ‘Let my son go, so he may worship me.’”
# 1 BLOOD
Exodus 7:16-18   'This is what the Lord says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me in the desert. But until now you have not listened. This is what the Lord  says: By this you will know that I am the Lord : With the staff that is in my hand I will strike the water of the Nile, and it will be changed into blood. The fish in the Nile will die, and the river will stink; the Egyptians will not be able to drink its water.'"
# 2 FROGS
          Exodus 8:1-4   'This is what the Lord says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me. If you refuse to let them go, I will plague your whole country with frogs. The Nile will teem with frogs. They will come up into your palace and your bedroom and onto your bed, into the houses of your officials and on your people, and into your ovens and kneading troughs. The frogs will go up on you and your people and all your officials.'"
# 3 LICE/GNATS
# 4 FLIES
          Exodus 8:20-21   'This is what the Lord says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me. If you do not let my people go, I will send swarms of flies on you and your officials, on your people and into your houses. The houses of the Egyptians will be full of flies, and even the ground where they are.
# 5 PESTILENCE
#6 BOILS
Exodus 9:1-3   This is what the Lord, the God of the Hebrews, says: "Let my people go, so that they may worship me." If you refuse to let them go and continue to hold them back, the hand of the Lord will bring a terrible plague on your livestock in the field — on your horses and donkeys and camels and on your cattle and sheep and goats.
# 7 HAIL
          Exodus 9:13-15   'This is what the Lord, the God of the Hebrews, says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me, or this time I will send the full force of my plagues against you and against your officials and your people, so you may know that there is no one like me in all the earth.
# 8 LOCUSTS
          Exodus 10:3-5   "This is what the Lord, the God of the Hebrews, says: 'How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me? Let my people go, so that they may worship me. If you refuse to let them go, I will bring locusts into your country tomorrow. They will cover the face of the ground so that it cannot be seen. They will devour what little you have left after the hail, including every tree that is growing in your fields.
           
Exodus 10:7-11   Pharaoh's officials said to him, "How long will this man be a snare to us? Let the people go, so that they may worship the Lord their God. Do you not yet realize that Egypt is ruined?" Then Moses and Aaron were brought back to Pharaoh. "Go, worship the Lord your God," he said. "But just who will be going?" Moses answered, "We will go with our young and old, with our sons and daughters, and with our flocks and herds, because we are to celebrate a festival to the Lord ." Pharaoh said, "The Lord be with you — if I let you go, along with your women and children! Clearly, you are bent on evil.  No! Have only the men go; and worship the Lord, since that's what you have been asking for." Then Moses and Aaron were driven out of Pharaoh's presence.
# 9 DARKNESS
          Exodus 10:24   Then Pharaoh summoned Moses and said, "Go, worship the Lord. Even your women and children may go with you; only leave your flocks and herds behind."
# 10 FIRST BORN DEATH
Exodus 12:31-32   During the night Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, "Up! Leave my people, you and the Israelites! Go, worship the Lord as you have requested. Take your flocks and herds, as you have said, and go. And also bless me."

What is the greatest event in the NT?
          The Passion of Christ.
What was the Passion of Christ all about?
It was NOT about showing God’s superior power over the Roman Government.
It was NOT about showing God’s power over creation (earthquake-stone rolled away)
It was NOT even about the people being freed and going to the promised land (otherwise they would have done it quickly.
What was the Passion of Christ all about?
It was about God’s people being set free for one reason ONLY…so they could worship him.

Jesus in the temptation -     
Matthew 4:8-10
Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me." Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'"


Communion

No comments:

Post a Comment