Sunday, February 23, 2014

2-23-14 Livin’ the Love & Live in the Love

2014 THEME INTRODUCTION

Scripture                                          1 John 4:7-12

          Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.  This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.  This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.  Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

 

Noun:  a word that refers to a person, place, thing, event, substance or quality.

Verb:  a word or phrase that describes an action, condition or experience.

Many people I would call loving VERB.

But only one who I would call LOVE as a noun = God. God is love.

My wife shows me love in some ways that others have; Praying for me, spending time with me, tending to my wounds, etc. She also loves me in ways that no one else in the world does.  I experience love with or from others in many ways, a gift or card on my birthday or Christmas, assistance building something, food provided after a surgery, etc. God loves me by putting people and things in my life for my benefit, like others do, however God loves me in ways that no one else does. God lives in me by His Spirit, God has forgiven my sin and given me eternal life through the greatest act of love in human history. No one else can do that.

 

Name                            Religious tradition founded       Life of founder

c. 11th to 9th c BC           Zoroaster                                       Zoroastrianism                                       

c. 5th century BC           Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha        Buddhism                                              

551 BC – 479 BC         Confucius                                      Confucianism                                        

early 7th century            Muhammad                                Islam                                                     

1511–1553                    Michael Servetus                        Unitarianism                                         

1805–1844                    Joseph Smith                              Mormonism, aka LDS

1817–1892                    Bahá'u'lláh                                 Bahá'í Faith                                           

1852–1916                    Charles Taze Russell                  Jehovah's Witnesses                        

1884–1964                    Gerald Gardner                          Wicca                                                    

1911–1986                    L. Ron Hubbard                         Church of Scientology                    

1920–2012                    Yong (Sun) Moon                      Unification Church                               

1930–1997                    Anton Szandor LaVey                Church of Satan                                

c. 4 BC - Eternity         Jesus                                        Christianity                   

 

No one else by their death could bring life. Jesus proved the power of love to forgive by his resurrection.  Let’s think about that one for a moment. Adam and Eve thought about sin; which was not sin - that is called temptation.  Then they ate the forbidden fruit and that “act” was the first sin. But it was much more, it revealed our sin nature. When Jesus sacrificed himself for me on the cross, it was not primarily for my sins, rather for my sin nature.  Sins are not our greatest problem. Most who think about God think that way. If I stop the acts of sin and do good God will be pleased with me. If I keep doing acts of sin, God is always watching and will keep zapping me. The fruit is simply a sign of the root. It is getting rid of the root of sin that Jesus died for.  Simply trying to change behavior is never enough. You MUST seek forgiveness for your sin condition as well as your sins. There are many people who do good things who will never see heaven and many people who have lived wretched lives who will, if they have truly received the love gift of forgiveness - like the thief on the cross who, moments before he died was forgiven of his sin condition and by Jesus for his sins, yet still paid the earthly price for being a thief.

Does that help you recognize what took place in a nano second 2000 years ago? While Jesus still breathed, we were still dead in our sin condition.  The moment Jesus breathed his last breath forgiveness of sin was made possible for those who would put their lives into his care.  John 3:36  Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.  God’s wrath has been on us since the fall - when Adam and Eve disobeyed God.  That wrath is removed by the obedience of Jesus.  His obedience to the Father is pure love toward us. We are invited to live in that love…This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

 

          We need to learn how to live in that love. We have got to stop living in fear and start trusting that God desires the best for us in love.  1 John 4:16-18  God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

 

How do we live in this love?  How do you live in anyone’s love.  While my mother was living, I knew there was nothing I could do that would remove her love from me. How did I know that?  Because she caught me smoking as a kid, and she still loved me.  Because horsing around with my brothers we broke her bed - multiple times, she still loved me.  Because when I got caught shoplifting at age 12 - on her birthday, she sat me down, grounded me for two weeks, told me she was disappointed in me and also told me how much she loved me.  I couldn’t do anything to lose my mother’s love.  I got to live in that love. I 100% trusted that love.  I didn’t have to be perfect to live in my mother’s love.  I don’t have to be perfect to live in God’s love through Christ.  Romans 5:8   But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
We will examine both parts of this theme all year, but I really want you to begin to get how much God wants you to live IN his love.  It is only then that you can live out the last part of our theme text - Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment