Sunday, February 16, 2014

2-16-14 What do you know about John? or - Who’s in ‘your’ framily?

Scripture                                         John 15:9-17

Back on November 13th I spoke about your Oikos.  I want to revisit that from a more personal experience.

What do you know about John?

James and John sons of Zebedee (thunder) and Salome were the high school QB and tight end, basket ball center and point guard, baseball pitcher and short stop, class and student council presidents but also starred in the school plays and musicals, played piano and first chair violin for the school orchestra, and dated the head cheerleader and prom queen.  These guys were tough but tender, ambitious but loyal.

Think about it, their father was referred to as Thunder and their mother was considered brash as the one who approached Jesus to ask him to have her sons sit at Jesus’ right and left in the kingdom of heaven.  One parent is a bull in a china shop shouting about everything and the other is a campaign chairman to get you elected president whether you want it or not. That means you have a lot to live up to, along with ensuring the success of the family fishing business.  Part of John’s Oikos is his family: Mom, Dad and brother James.  Then he has his business Oikos Luke 5:8-10 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!" For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon's partners.  Matt 4:18-19 Jesus saw Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. John’s business Oikos included his brother and father as well as Peter and Andrew.  His friend Oikos would eventually include Nathaniel/Bartholomew, Phillip, Judas Iscariot, James son of Alpheus, Simon the zealot, Thaddeus/Jude, Thomas and Matthew.

           Tom Mercer pastor’s a church in Southern CA where he teaches that every member of the congregation are the greatest resource for sharing the gospel through their own Oikos, the 8-15 people God has supernaturally and strategically placed in your life in relationships that have a unique fingerprint that no one else has with those same 8-15 people. Another way to put it is by watching a Sprint commercial.  You and up to 10 others can save money with Sprint by developing your own WHAT kind of plan?  A FRAMILY plan.  You and 10 of your closest Friends + Family = your Framily which is like 10 of the same people who make up your Oikos of 8-15 - Oikos = extended household.

          Jesus had an Oikos. Can you name them?  Peter, Andrew, James, John, Nathaniel/Bartholomew, Phillip, Judas Iscariot, James son of Alpheus, Simon the zealot, Thaddeus/Jude, Thomas and Matthew.  It also might include his mother Mary, as well as Mary, Martha and Lazarus.  That puts him at 16 till you take away Judas.  You get the idea, even Jesus could only be close to and ultimately have an impact in the lives of so many people.  Why do you think he sent them out two by two; they went places he couldn’t.  Why do you think Jesus said, John 14:12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. Because Jesus could only be one place at one time, because the infinite God was clothed in a finite body fenced in by time and space just like us.  But his spirit can reach the world through each of his disciple’s Oikos/families. Like John’s.  What was unique about John? What made him special in his Oikos? He was the disciple Jesus loved.  Just ask him. According to John’s own words:

John: The disciple whom Jesus LOVED

John 13:22-25

His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant. One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him. Simon Peter motioned to this disciple and said, "Ask him which one he means." Leaning back against Jesus, he asked him, "Lord, who is it?"

John 19:25-27

Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son,"  and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home. Mary became part of his extended family - his Oikos.

John 20:1-2

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance. So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, "They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don't know where they have put him!"

John 21:6-7

Jesus said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish. Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!"

John 21:20-23

Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. Peter asked, "Lord, what about him?" Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me."  Because of this, the rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?" As far as we know, John is the only disciple that died of old age.

 CONCLUSION

The story of Jonathan (JaiLai)

John 15:9-17

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit — fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17 This is my command: Love each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment