Monday, February 10, 2014

2-9-14 Nobody likes me, but many live with me!

Scripture                                       Revelation 2:1-7

DRAMA:  Al Z. Heimers describe what Alzheimer’s is like.

Moses:        Rod,  Hand leprosy

Moses & Aaron & Pharoah     10 plagues

Israelites     Death angel Passover,    Parting the Red Sea

                   (After this Moses & Miriam were so overjoyed at God that they sang: Ex 15:1-2 this song to the Lord: "I will sing to the Lord, for he is highly exalted. The horse and its rider he has hurled into the sea.  The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.)

          God saved them and they were happy…all the people. "happy happy happy”

          Then they came to the desert of Shur where they could find no water.  So the people began to grumble…I guess they weren’t “shur” God was looking out for them.  God told Moses to throw a stick in the rotten water and it became clean drinking water.

          Then they came to the dessert of “sin.” The people grumbled about no food.

          God sent them quail at night and manna (bread) in the morning.  God said don’t keep any till the following morning.  Some did [sin] and it was full of maggots. God said make extra of Friday so you won’t work on the sabbath and it was still good in the morning, but some people went and gathered more on the Sabbath [sin].

          Then they left sin and wandered and again had no water, so they grumbled.  God had Moses come to the foot of Mt. Horeb (the mountain of God) and told him to strike the rock with his rod - he did and clean water flowed.

          Then they were attacked by the Amalekites but as long as Moses held up his hands they were winning the battle - god gave them the victory with Aaron and Hur holding up his arms - great team work.

Then they get the 10 commandments and many more plus festivals to celebrate.

Then God said come and worship me and I will make this a covenant with you. The leaders went to the mountain for a week and God said Moses needed to come to the top of the mountain where he entered a cloud for 40 days and nights.  The people below thought the mountain top was on fire.  Moses received instructions for the Tabernacle where God would dwell and the people were to give offerings to build it and provide for its furnishings. Down to the altar, priestly garments and breasts plate, oil and lampstand.  Consecrate the priests. Altar for burnt offering and one for incense offering.

This was chpt 24-31    Ex 31:18   When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the Testimony, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.

THEN:  Spiritual Alzheimer’s began to set in…

Jumping ahead:    Ex 32:15-24     Moses turned and went down the mountain with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands. They were inscribed on both sides, front and back. The tablets were the work of God; the writing was the writing of God, engraved on the tablets. When Joshua heard the noise of the people shouting, he said to Moses, "There is the sound of war in the camp." Moses replied: "It is not the sound of victory, it is not the sound of defeat; it is the sound of singing that I hear." When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he threw the tablets out of his hands, breaking them to pieces at the foot of the mountain.  And he took the calf they had made and burned it in the fire; then he ground it to powder, scattered it on the water and made the Israelites drink it. He said to Aaron, "What did these people do to you, that you led them into such great sin?"  "Do not be angry, my lord," Aaron answered. "You know how prone these people are to evil.  They said to me, 'Make us gods who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don't know what has happened to him.'  So I told them, 'Whoever has any gold jewelry, take it off.' Then they gave me the gold, and I threw it into the fire, and out came this calf!"

IS THAT WHAT HAPPENED? Back it up…

Exodus 32:1-4

When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, "Come, make us gods who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don't know what has happened to him." 2 Aaron answered them, "Take off the gold earrings that your wives, your sons and your daughters are wearing, and bring them to me." 3 So all the people took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron. 4 He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they said, "These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt."

          After 40 years of wandering God took Moses to a mountain and showed him the promised land and Moses died without entering it.

Jer 2:32       Does a maiden forget her jewelry, a bride her wedding ornaments? Yet my people have forgotten me, days without number.

This could have been you and me - let’s look at NT examples of Spiritual Alzheimer’s.

Peter walk on water - fall in water

Peter willing to die for Jesus - Denies Jesus

Peter is the rock - Peter is Satan

Disciples feeding 5000 then wondering about bread.

Jesus washed their feet then fell asleep

How does Jesus address our Spiritual Alzheimer’s?

Revelation 2:1-7

"To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands: 2 I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. 3 You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary.

4 Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. 5 Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. 6 But you have this in your favor: You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

Ps 103:2-5

Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits —  who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

Open my eyes, that I may see

        glimpses of truth thou hast for me;
        place in my hands the wonderful key
        that shall unclasp and set me free.
        Silently now I wait for thee,
        ready, my God, thy will to see.
         Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit divine!

 2.      Open my ears, that I may hear
        voices of truth thou sendest clear;
        and while the wavenotes fall on my ear,
        everything false will disappear.
        Silently now I wait for thee,
        ready, my God, thy will to see.
        Open my ears, illumine me, Spirit divine!

 
3.      Open my mouth, and let me bear
        gladly the warm truth everywhere;
        open my heart and let me prepare
        love with thy children thus to share.
        Silently now I wait for thee,
        ready, my God, thy will to see.
        Open my heart, illumine me, Spirit divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment