Sunday, December 25, 2022

12-25-22 “Get out of Bethlehem”

Scripture                                               Philippians 2:1-13








          GET OUT OF BETHLEHEM! What kind of a sweet sermon title is that for a Christmas morning? Not a very inviting one. Well, let's not judge a sermon by its title before we hear the sermon itself. So far we have a title, now we need a scripture - we don’t want to be repetitive and use the Mathew or Luke passage once more that we have used throughout advent and Christmas Eve. Are there other texts that help us see what God was doing with the Christmas event - the incarnation - God sending His son to be born among us? Yes!

Philippians 2:1-13

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ,

if any comfort from his love,

if any fellowship with the Spirit,

if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete

by being like-minded,

having the same love,

being one in spirit and purpose.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition

or do nothing out of vain conceit,

but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

Each of you should look not only to your own interests but also to the interests of others.

          That sounds like the intention of Christmas. How much more giving to charity, spending time with friends and family, making meals for others, giving one another gifts, thinking of others before ourselves than at Christmas?

          Jesus does not expect us to do what he would not do, so his looking out for the interests of others more than himself is explicitly described in the next few verses and Christmas is right at the heart of it.

          Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped (grasped = not in the sense of being understood, rather grasped = held onto), but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death — even death on a cross!

          No, we can't do what Jesus did on the cross, but we can carry our own cross for the sake of others and know that God will lift us, encourage us, and give us the resources and strength to keep living for Him and others. Look at what happened to Jesus because he had given himself for others:

          Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

          Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed — not only in my presence but now much more in my absence — continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

          The first obedient act is worship.                                     

          What a joy it is to be in worship on Christmas morning. Where else should we be? Some have chosen to remain at home. In fact, I read that as many as 61% of protestant churches are not offering a service of worship this morning because of the anticipation of low attendance. That also means that churches who are celebrating in worship on this Christmas Sunday, fewer people are likely to be in each of those churches meaning that possibly less than half of the Christians in the US protestant churches will be in corporate worship today - the day to celebrate Jesus' birth. I recall my savior saying something about not neglecting to meet together as some are in the habit of doing. Also, regarding closing because of anticipated low attendance he said, where 2 or 3 gather in my name, there I am in the midst of them.

          Many made the argument that most people will come to Christmas Eve services so it doesn't make sense to come back the next morning. That is like saying, I had supper last night therefore I will skip breakfast this morning. Am I being insensitive to those who choose to stay home in pajamas and enjoy the warmth of family and traditions? Not at all. Everyone makes their own choices and is perfectly right to do so. At age 15 I accepted Christ into my life and 7 weeks later was my first REAL Christmas. From that moment on, I could not imagine ever missing the opportunity to gather with God's people at least once a week to worship and praise Him. I also learned that the real gift of Christmas is Jesus. On this Christmas morning, the fact that it is Sunday - what a blessed opportunity to thank God that Jesus is born! To be encouraged by being united with Christ, to be comforted by his love, and to have this fellowship in His spirit!

          What is it you loved most about Christmas morning when you were growing up? (Let people answer) Growing up - my treasured memories were the anticipation after waking up when mom would tell my older brothers and I, we could line up in the hallway and on her signal "Merry Christmas" run into the living room and see all the presents under the tree - the ones that had been there for days and the new ones that had come Christmas Eve from Santa Clause.

          I don’t remember a single Christmas where I was disappointed or let down. Looking back, I don’t know how my single mother on a teacher's income was able to provide for us the way she did. Christmas morning was magical. I wish I could be back in that time. I wish I could just stay there for the rest of my life. How wonderful to be with my brothers and mom opening gifts and basking in all that love and peace and joy. But you know what? I couldn't stay there, even then, we had to get dressed and go over to my dad's house to celebrate Christmas with him. I also couldn't stay there because I had to grow up, I had to get out of my mom's house and go to college - get a job, and have my own family. I couldn't stay at 585 Georgian Dr. I had to get out.

          So too, as much as we love the baby Jesus in the manger, the Christmas carols, and the pageantry of the season, we all have to get out of Bethlehem. We can't stay there.

          It is time to get out of Bethlehem, but your reason for getting out needs to be the right one. Joseph got out for fear of his son's life. He was warned that King Herod wanted his baby boy dead. In fear, Mary and Joseph were good parents and got Jesus out of Bethlehem. That was a good reason for them to go - fear should not be the reason you get out of Bethlehem.

          The Wisemen got out of Bethlehem because they were warned in a dream not to go back to Herod. We don't know if they were told why. They were obedient to the word given them to get out so they got out. They left because they were told too. That was a good reason for them to go - following orders should not be the reason you get out of Bethlehem.

          All of the people who had come for the census but lived elsewhere got out of Bethlehem because they paid their taxes and were ready to get back home. That was a good reason for them to go - task accomplished should not be the reason you get out of Bethlehem.

          You should get out of Bethlehem because there is a world outside that cozy little village who need you to, not only tell them, but show them what it means to be encouraged by being united with Christ, to be comforted by his love, and to have this fellowship in His spirit!

          Just as God chose those angels, and those shepherds, and those wisemen, and Mary and Joseph, so too he chooses you and me - here and now - to give witness to the virgin born, cross crucified, empty tomb risen Lord and Savior - Jesus Christ.           

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment