Sunday, September 6, 2020

09-06-20 Whistle (or sing) while you work!

 Scripture    Matthew 26-26-30

(Sermon # 1)

Colossians 3:23-24
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
Ephesians 5:19  Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord.
 
          Today we want to tell the story of the gospel through song – not just any songs but through the tried and true hymns that had been the staples of worship for many years. We want to tell God’s story, which in turn is telling our story…to tell the old, old, story, of Jesus and his love.
 
Our first 3 songs not only invite us to welcome God here through song, they are the beginning of the salvation story speaking to God’s creation.
 
Robert Robinson was forced to grow up without a loving father. His dad passed away when he was only eight years of age. Robert was born on Sept. 27, 1735, to Mary Wilkin and Michael Robinson.
To make Roberts circumstances much more difficult, his maternal grandfather, Robert Wilkin, a wealthy man, who had never reconciled himself to his daughter’s lowly marriage, disinherited his grandson and provided an inheritance for him of only ten shillings and sixpence.
As soon as Robert was old enough, he secured a job as an apprentice to a barber. Even in his youth he endured the hardship of having to be the breadwinner for his widowed mother and himself. His formal education was limited. However, his knowledge was varied and extensive because he spent many hours in study. There was an adult-like quality deeply ingrained in him, and it allowed him to accept the responsibilities of adulthood, even as a teenager.
As he grew older, he came under the influence of the famed evangelist, George Whitfield. On Dec. 10, 1755, Robinson could not push from his mind a particular phrase used by Mr. Whitfield in one of his sermons: “Oh, my hearers! the wrath to come! the wrath to come!” He was wondrously converted and became a minister of the gospel; first, in a Baptist church, then in a Methodist church, and later in other denominations.
In one location his congregation grew to 1,000 in attendance.
Unfortunately, and for some unexplained reason, he became altogether unstable and unhappy. His Christian beliefs and training seemed of little importance to him.
On one occasion, years later, he found himself the fellow passenger of a young lady on a stagecoach. It is reported that she began to sing to break the monotony of the trip. And what did she sing?
O to grace how great a debtor, Daily I’m constrained to be.
Let Thy goodness like a fetter, Bind my wand’ring heart to Thee
Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love.
Here’s my heart, Lord, take and seal it, Seal it for Thy courts above.
As she finished singing the young woman asked Roberts what he thought about the song. His startling reply was: “Madam, I am the unhappy man who wrote that hymn many years ago; and, I would give a thousand worlds, if I had them, if I could feel now as I felt then.
Psalm 37:4 - Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
 
INTROIT – walking in (from new side walk outside) Adding voices with each phrase.
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing – Robert Robison, (1757)
Come, Thou Fount of every blessing  - Tune my heart to sing Thy grace Streams of mercy, never ceasing - Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet - Sung by flaming tongues above
Praise the mount, I'm fixed upon it - Mount of Thy redeeming love
 
Hitherto Thy love has blessed me - Thou hast brought me to this place
And I know Thy hand will bring me - Safely home by Thy good grace
Jesus sought me when a stranger - Wandering from the fold of God
He, to rescue me from danger - Bough me with His precious blood
 
Oh, to grace how great a debtor - Daily I'm constrained to be
Let that goodness like a fetter - Bind my wandering heart to Thee
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it - Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, oh, take and seal it - Seal it for Thy courts above
 
All Creatures Of our God and King – St. Francis of Assisi, 1225
All creatures of our God and King
Lift up your voice and with us sing; Alleluia! Alleluia!
Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son
And praise the Spirit, Three in One!
O praise Him, O praise Him, Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
Praise To the Lord The Almighty – Joachim Neander, (1665)
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near
Join me in glad adoration!
Praise to the Lord, O let all that is in me adore Him
All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him
Let the amen, sound from His people again
Gladly for aye we adore Him
 
(Sermon # 2)
3 times music is mentioned related to Jesus – 1st not a ringing endorsement
Matt 9:23-26
When Jesus entered the ruler's house and saw the flute players and the noisy crowd, he said, "Go away. The girl is not dead but asleep." But they laughed at him. After the crowd had been put outside, he went in and took the girl by the hand, and she got up. News of this spread through all that region.
2nd Music is a part of Celebration over sinners redeemed
Luke 15:22-26
"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.  Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing.
3rd is the only time we know Jesus was singing and it was part of communion.
Matt 26:26-30
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body." 27 Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom." 30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
 
          How will those closest to God worship him? In song and as the triune God – 3 in 1.
Rev 4:6-8 says, In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,
who was, and is, and is to come."
Reginald Heber (who wrote Holy, holy, holy in 1826) was impressed by the holiness of God. Whether in England, with the prevalence of sin, or in Calcutta, where people worshiped idols, he would often write “Only Thou art holy.” Based on the words of Revelation 4:8, he used the symbolism of three repeatedly throughout his hymn: God is “holy, merciful and mighty,” he’s “perfect in power, in love and purity,” he’s worshiped by saints, cherubim, and seraphim, and he’s praised “in earth and sky and sea.”
Through these consistent units of three, this hymn describes and worships God in three persons. Alfred Lord Tennyson felt “Holy, Holy, Holy” was the world’s greatest hymn. It truly does call us to worship our God, falling down before him with those who sing in Revelation 4:8, “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.
 
Holy, Holy, Holy – Reginald Heiber, England (1826)
Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
 Early in the morning our song shall rise to thee
Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty
God in three persons, blessed Trinity!  Amen”
 
(Sermon # 3)
From the theology of the Trinity, we go directly to the person of Jesus Christ. We can know for certain that the man born in Bethlehem, raised as a carpenter in Nazareth, who taught and performed miracles all throughout Israel, is also the God who brings us salvation by his blood shed on a cross. When we put our faith in him we are born of the spirit and have the blessed assurance of eternal life.
Blessed Assurance – Fanny Crosby, New York City  (1873)
Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long
 
PICNIC WITH THE PASTOR
 
(Sermon # 4)
Joseph Scriven wrote a poem to give his mother comfort. This was after he himself had suffered much. He fell in love twice and both women died in tragic accidents before they ever married. He had a servant’s heart and would only do work for people who could not afford to pay him a full wage. Through his life struggles he realized that he did not always take things to Jesus in prayer. A friend found that poem and later music was added so that we have a song that reminds us that Jesus desires to have us communicate with him.
James 5:13-16     Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
What a Friend We Have in Jesus – Joseph M. Scriven (1855)
What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.
 
PRAYER
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus – Helen Lemmel, England (1922)
Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.
 
(Sermon # 5)
(Tell the story of John Newton and Amazing Grace)
Amazing Grace – John Newton, England (1779)
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now am found was blind, but now, I see.
Through many dangers Toils and snares, I have already come
'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far and grace will lead us home.
 
SOLO: “Dear Me” Lily Porter
 
COMMUNION
 
(Sermon # 6)
STORY OF HOW GREAT THOU ART: In 1885, Carl Boberg, a Swedish editor and future politician, was walking home when a thunderstorm appeared on the horizon. Lightning flashed. Thunderclaps shook the air, sending Boberg running for shelter.
When the storm lessened, he rushed home. He opened his windows to let in the fresh bay air, and the vision of tranquility that greeted him stirred something deep in his soul. The sky had cleared. Thrushes sang, and in the distance, church bells sounded. With the juxtaposition between the roaring thunderstorm and such beautiful calm as background, Boberg sat down and wrote “O Store Gud”—the poem that became “How Great Thou Art.”
After being published in a local newspaper, an unknown Swede put the poem to the tune of a Swedish folk song, whose name has also been lost to history. In the late 1800s several versions were published, but it wasn’t until the early 1900s that “How Great Thou Art” came to America.
How Great Thou Art –  Carl Gustav Boberg, Sweden (1885)
O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee
How great Thou art, how great Thou art
All Hail The Power of Jesus Name –  Edward Perronet, (1779)
All hail the power of Jesus’ name!  Let angels prostrate fall.
Bring forth the royal diadem, and crown him Lord of all.
Bring forth the royal diadem, and crown him Lord of all.
Crown Him With Many Crowns – Matthew Bridges, England (1852)
Crown Him with many crowns, the Lamb upon His throne
Hark! How the heavenly anthem drowns all music but its own
Awake, my soul, and sing of Him who died for thee
And hail Him as thy matchless King through all eternity.
How Great Thou Art –  Carl Gustav Boberg, Sweden (1885)
When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And lead me home, what joy shall fill my heart
Then I shall bow with humble adoration
And then proclaim, my God, how great Thou art
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee
How great Thou art, how great Thou art
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee
How great Thou art, how great Thou art
How great Thou art, how great Thou art, How great Thou art!
(Sermon # 7)
Matthew 26:30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
And so, we will go out singing a hymn. Not all hymns are over 100 years old – this hymn is much newer and it gives the reason why we sing – the God who created us, who lived and died and was resurrected for us, who one day is coming back for us gives us 10,000 to worship Him through song and through the life we live.
10,000 Reasons – Matt Redman, England (2011)
Bless the Lord, O my soul O my soul / Worship His holy name
Sing like never before, O my soul / I’ll worship Your holy name.
 
The sun comes up It’s a new day dawning. It’s time to sing Your song again.
Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me;
Let me be singing when the evening comes
 
Bless the Lord, O my soul O my soul / Worship His holy name
Sing like never before, O my soul / I’ll worship Your holy name.
 
You’re rich in love and You’re slow to anger
Your name is great and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find
 
Bless the Lord, O my soul O my soul / Worship His holy name
Sing like never before, O my soul / I’ll worship Your holy name.
 
And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore
 
Bless the Lord, O my soul O my soul / Worship His holy name
Sing like never before, O my soul / I’ll worship Your holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul O my soul / Worship His holy name
Sing like never before, O my soul / I’ll worship Your holy name.

No comments:

Post a Comment