Sunday, August 30, 2020

08-30-20 THE BE-HAPPY-ATTITUDES “Mistreated, Oppressed, Intimidated, and Tortured”

Scripture  Matthew 5:1, 2, 10

Matt 5:1-12

Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them, saying: Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Jesus says if you are successful at being poor in spirit, mourning, being meek, hungering and thirsting for righteousness, being merciful, pure in heart and a peacemaker, then you can count on, besides having the kingdom of heaven, being comforted, inheriting the earth, being filled, being shown mercy, seeing God, being called a child of God, you can also count on being persecuted.

There are, of course, many reasons for persecution. People are persecutions for racial, political, and religious reasons. Sometimes people are persecuted for the friends they have or the way they dress or breast feeding in a public place. Today people are persecuted because they don’t wear a mask – OR because they do wear a mask. Strong convictions invite persecution. Me in H.S. persecuted for my convictions.

    Most of us find it difficult to understand how Jesus could say Happy are those who are persecuted. – that seems like the opposite of happiness. Yet Jesus says that happiness and contentment and the joy of living will come to the person who is persecuted…“for righteousness’ sake,” and “for my sake.”

Why are those who try to live right sometimes persecuted?

And how can persecution help lead to a full and joyous life?

The supreme illustration of being persecuted for righteousness’ sake is Jesus himself. He lived according to his Beatitudes. He lived the perfect life, but he did not please everybody. He stirred up opposition so fierce that it cost his life.

Why does goodness or right living stimulate opposition?

Their convictions do not allow them to follow the popular culture or trends.

Here is an illustration: A young girl joins her friends who sneak smoking cigarettes after school. But she refuses to participate in the fun. When asked why, she says, “I just don’t believe it is right.” She is sometimes respected for this, but not always. She may be teased or even rejected by her group of friends. (like how I may have been perceived wearing a mask at the pool last week)

When someone stands for what is right (or lives a righteous life) it often makes others uncomfortable who prefer not to live that same way. An upright action also generates envy among those unable to stick by their own morals. The result, naturally, is opposition.

Let me give 2 examples from my family:

1.     Nathan and his cousins at Kimberly’s Carousel.

2.     Gretchen handing out flyers for SYATP

A person who does good is often called, among other things, a fanatic, fool, do-gooder, narrow-minded, a misguided intellectual. Such labels are placed upon anyone who has the courage of their convictions.

Jesus says that being persecuted for trying to do what is right leads to a fuller and more abundant life. The final Beatitude tells us to do what is right, regardless of consequences. This Beatitude challenges us to stand up and be counted.

We should not enjoy being persecuted. Suffering is suffering. It is not an automatic sign that we are right.

It isn’t the persecution that brings happiness. Persecution is nothing more than an indication of what is happening. Jesus says we are in good company. (the prophets who were before you.)

 

Being persecuted also means spiritual growth. Nobody ever became an athlete by watching television. We develop through exercise, physical and spiritual. When we battle for the sake of righteousness, we profit more than anybody else. This spiritual strength leads to a fuller and more abundant life. Jesus is perfectly frank. He says in substance, “Follow me. The road is rough, but is well worth taking.”

--------------

Billy Graham said: “Here is a spiritual law which is as unchangeable as the law of gravity: All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.”

We must get this fact firmly fixed in our minds: we live in an upside-down world.  You know the blow-up clown with the weight in the bottom that you use as a punching bag, there is one that is the opposite of that with the weight in it’s head and no matter what you do to it, it always lands on its head with its feet in the air – that is the  way of the world.

No matter how hard people try to live right by their own strength, they always revert to an upside-down position. From childhood to maturity we are always prone to do what we should not do and to refrain from doing what we ought to do. That is our nature. We have too much weight in the head and not enough ballast in our hearts, so we flip upside down when left alone. The apostle Paul said it best: Romans 7:14-25

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do — this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God — through Jesus Christ our Lord!

          The same person who wrote that is maybe the greatest example of one who was a persecutor who became the persecuted.   PAUL THE PERSECUTOR

Acts 9:1-3

Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord's disciples. He went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem.

Acts 7:59-8:3

While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep. And Saul was there, giving approval to his death.

          On that day a great persecution broke out against the church at Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria. Godly men buried Stephen and mourned deeply for him. But Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off men and women and put them in prison.

PAUL THE PERSECUTED

2 Cor 11:21-31

          What anyone else dares to boast about — I am speaking as a fool — I also dare to boast about. Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they Abraham's descendants? So am I. Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one.   Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?

If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, who is to be praised forever, knows that I am not lying.

That is why the disciples to the world were misfits. To an upside-down person, a right-side-up person seems upside down. To a sinner, a righteous person is an oddity and an abnormality. A Christian’s goodness is a rebuke to his wickedness; his being right side up is a reflection upon the world’s inverted position. So the conflict is a natural one. Persecution is inevitable.

Do you know that the moral (and biblical) standard was that a man and a woman would first get married, then live together, then have babies? The world has turned that up-side down (even though the bible has not changed its position). There have been several reality shows in recent years where someone mentions they are a virgin, and the would be daters or potential spouse is upset and wonders if they should continue the relationship because the person has no experience and their must be something wrong with them. WHAT? The truth is, that person’s right living is a conviction to the person who has not lived that way and can result in persecution.

Christ’s righteousness is so revolutionary and so contradictory to man’s manner of living that it invokes the antagonism of the world.

Persecution is inevitable to those who are pilgrims and strangers in an alien land as Christians are in a world of upside-down moral values.

The Bible says: 1 Peter 2:9-10   But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

The world, the flesh, and the devil are our enemies. In times of war one can hardly expect the good will of the enemy’s forces. Though our weapons are not earthly, the enemy’s weapons are earthly, and we can expect Satan to use every tool at his command for our persecution and destruction. War atrocities will be committed. They who live godly in Christ will suffer persecution.

“We fight,” the Bible says, “against the rulers of the darkness of this world.” Darkness hates light. Being at “cross-purposes” with the world is part and parcel of the Christian life.

As Paul said: Gal 6:14-15  May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

          When we are persecuted because we were stupid or messed something up, we cannot glory in the cross of Christ for that. It says, persecuted for righteous sake and for My sake!

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO ARE PERSECUTED

          I felt that way in high school for my mild persecution.

The persecuted are happy because they are being processed for heaven. Persecution is one of the natural consequences of living the Christian life. It is to the Christian what “growing pains” are to the growing child. No pain, no development. No suffering, no glory. No struggle, no victory. No persecution, no reward.

You may not be called upon to suffer as the martyrs suffered. Jesus said: “Men shall revile you … and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.” The tongue often inflicts a more painful wound than does the  sword. To be laughed at is harder to take than to be beaten.

Know this – when you are living in righteousness and for Christ’s sake – if you are persecuted there is one who stands with you.

Acts 7:55-56

But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God.

Daniel 3:16-18

 Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

They are in the furnace.

Daniel 3:24-25

Then King Nebuchadnezzar leaped to his feet in amazement and asked his advisers, "Weren't there three men that we tied up and threw into the fire?”

They replied, "Certainly, O king."  He said, "Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment