Sunday, October 6, 2019

10-06-19 WORLDWIDE COMMUNION Remembrance leads us to worship


What do you remember?
      Do you realize every thought you have in the present is based on all the thoughts you have had in the past.  When I say the word Elephant – you immediately get a picture in your mind because your mind remembers the African safari you went on, the elephant you saw on tv or in a book or the elephant you saw at the circus or the zoo.
      Your current thoughts are based on what you are able to remember. At the last supper Jesus implored the disciples to remember him through the meal. That meal has always been a time of worship – the reason being is that when we remember what Jesus has done, it leads us to worship. We can’t picture the body broken and beat down and crucified and the blood shed without being led into worship. Therefore, Remembrance leads us to worship and worship leads us to communion.


1 Cor 11:23-26
       For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me."  In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me."  For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

Luke 22:7-21
       Then came the day of Unleavened Bread on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, "Go and make preparations for us to eat the Passover." "Where do you want us to prepare for it?" they asked.
He replied, "As you enter the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him to the house that he enters, 11 and say to the owner of the house, 'The Teacher asks: Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?' He will show you a large upper room, all furnished. Make preparations there."
They left and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.
When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. And he said to them, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God."
After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, "Take this and divide it among you. 18 For I tell you I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes."

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Mal 3:16-18
       Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, and the Lord listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honored his name. "They will be mine," says the Lord Almighty, "in the day when I make up my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as in compassion a man spares his son who serves him. And you will again see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not.

REMEMBRANCE Communion Song
Oh how could it be
That my God would welcome me
Into this mystery
Say take this bread, take this wine
Now the simple made divine
For any to receive
By mercy, we come to your table
By your grace, you are making us faithful
[Chorus]
Lord, we remember you / And remembrance leads us to worship
And as we worship you / Our worship leads to communion
We respond to your invitation / We remember you

See his body, his blood
Know that he has overcome
Every trial we will face
None too lost to be saved
None too broken or ashamed
All are welcome in this place

By your mercy, we come to your table
By your grace, you are making us faithful

No comments:

Post a Comment