Sunday, September 3, 2017

9-3-17 To work is to pray!


Scripture:  Colossians 3:16-4:2
“Laborare est Orare” is a motto that derives from the Rule of Benedict. By adopting this ethos, the Benedictine Order attained a high degree of self-sufficiency which arguably helped them to survive the fall of Rome. Benedict formulated a Rule by which the monks of his monastery would live. It laid stress on the equal value of prayer, study and work, and in this way Benedict laid the foundations for self-sufficiency in a period when a community would either survive on its own, or not survive at all. At the core of the Rule was the edict, laborare est orare (to work is to pray). Benedict’s monks were to be no mere ritualistic bookworms – he wanted them to get dirt under their nails. As the movement spread across Europe the Benedictines set up abbeys that prospered. Benedict viewed prayer and work as partners, and believed in combining contemplation with action. The phrase expresses the need to balance prayer and work and has been used in many religious communities from the Middle Ages onwards.
Wiki Slide  Flag Slide   Seal Slide 



The city seal for Toledo, Ohio created and used since 1873 shows the sun rising at Fort Industry where Swan Creek joins the Maumee River. The seal was replaced with a simple block form of the fort on Jan. 11, 1909 and reverted to the 1873 seal in 1994. What never changed on the seal was the inscription “LABORARE – EST – ORARE” meaning “To work is to pray” which is still used to this day.

Col 3:16-4:2
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly (not read, not study, but dwell-stay-reside-live in you. Not quick-casual-cheap, but richly-fully-abundantly) as you teach and admonish one another (Christian to Christian teach each other the word of Christ is dwelling in you and warn each other in that word.) with all wisdom, (teach and warn with wisdom, not careless off the cuff thoughts) and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs (Psalms – sung scripture with musical accompaniment. Hymns – secular songs celebrating military victory or political triumph clamming songs of the culture for the church / cept we use them so long and think they are church music. Spiritual songs – Any type of music but made to be sacred – written for he purpose of worship, instruction or praise.) with gratitude in your hearts to God. (Always sing with thankfulness to God as His word richly lives in you) 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (WHATEVER YOU DO = do it in Jesus name – do it as a way to give thanks to God. For instance:) (Watch as God covers the 3 most common Social Networks – Husband & Wife / Parents and Children / Employee and Employer)
          18 Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
          19 Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.
          20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
          21 Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.
          22 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 25 Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism.
          4:1 Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair, because you know that you also have a Master in heaven. (Notice, on this labor day the one that is given most attention – let’s back up and read the one about slaves / Slave = you at your job)
          4:2 (To all of them is added laborare est orare) Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. To work at marriage – to work at family – to work at your job is TO PRAY! Devote yourselves to prayer by devoting yourselves to the work of marriage, family employment. Thant covers most of your waking hours which now means you can fulfill the scripture that says: 1 Thess 5:17 Pray without ceasing. KJV pray continually NIV pray all the time; The MSG
(Mr. Rogers optional)
MR> ROGERS NEIGHBORHOOD
The late Fred Rogers, creator and host of the much-loved children's television program Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, had a special understanding of his ministry and his work. His widow, Joanne Rogers, told a journalist: "I always remind people that he was an ordained Presbyterian minister and his educational children’s show was his ministry. His work was his ministry, and he loved his work; my, did he love his work. That's what makes me sad about losing him. Because I think he would have worked for a long time more if he could have.” When we honor God and help people, then our work and ministry blend together in pleasing service to the Lord. That becomes our prayer. Mister Rogers showed us how we can do that in our own neighborhood/Work/or School.
WORKING ALONE
          A letter to the insurance company called “Doing the Job Alone”.
Dear Sir, I’m writing in response to your request for additional information. In block 3 of the accident report form I put trying to do the job alone as the cause of my accident. In your letter you said I should explain more fully, and I trust the following details should be sufficient.
          I am a brick layer by trade and on the date of the accident I was working alone on the roof of a new six story building. When I had completed my work I had about 500 pounds of brick left over. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand or having someone to help me, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley that was fortunately attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.
          Securing the rope to the ground level I went to the roof, loaded the bricks into it, swung the barrel out, and then I went to the ground, untied the rope while holding the rope tightly to insure a slow descent of the 500 pounds. You will note in block 2 of the accident report that I weighed 160 pounds. Due to my surprise of being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rather rapid rate up the side of the building. In the vicinity of the 3rd floor I met the barrel coming down. This explains the fractured skull and the broken collar bone.
          Slowing down only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until my hand was two knuckles deep into the pulley. Fortunately, I regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope in spite of my pain. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel now weighed approximately 50 pounds. I refer you again to my weight in block #2. As you might imagine, I began a rather rapid descent down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the 3rd floor I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for my two fractured ankles and the lacerations on my legs. This encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell on the pile of bricks.
          I’m sorry to report, however, that as I lay on the bricks in pain, unable to stand, watching the empty barrel six stories above me, I again lost my presence of mind and let go of the rope. The empty barrel weighed more than the rope and so it came down and broke both of my legs.

Some jobs have partners built into them – some are done in isolation or with no help or support but NO JOB need to be done alone when your work becomes your prayer – God is there in the midst.

I had a High School Sunday School teacher who used to say “Do what you pray!” Praying for more money – get a second job. Praying for a more loving marriage – be more loving. Praying you will lose weight and get in better shape – eat healthier and exercise. Laborare est Orare / To work is to pray.


On one of D. L. Moody’s journeys across the Atlantic there was a fire in the hold of the ship. The crew and some volunteers stood in line to pass buckets of water. A friend said to Moody, "Mr. Moody, let us go to the other end of the ship, and engage in prayer." The common-sense evangelist replied, "No sir; we will stand right here and pass buckets and pray hard all the time." Moody believed that prayer and work were the two hands of the one person: that they should never be separated. Laborare est Orare.  Col 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

No comments:

Post a Comment