Sunday, September 10, 2017

9-10-17 Drawing class 101

Scripture:  John 12:19-36
          Years ago, when Red Skelton was in his 80’s, Kim and I got tickets to go see him at the University of Dayton arena. The place was packed and there was great anticipation. Red Skelton came on stage with a chair and a couple of hats. He was mic’d so the thousands of people could hear him – no special lighting - 2 hours, no intermission – no technology – no foul language or course jokes - no one left early because he had us spell bound. Red Skelton could certainly draw a crowd.  Today, you need lots of action, lights, tricks to get a crowd – but some are able to draw a crowd today.
          I am drawn to things that are fun or funny. Movies or the theater, I want to smile and laugh. I can’t watch the CSI crime shows that show death and blood. In the real world, most of us are not drawn toward death – particularly a horrendous murder of an innocent man. And yet – Jesus said, And I, when I be lifted up from the earth will draw all men to myself.  Is he saying, as I am crucified – lifted up – I will draw all men to myself? YES! That doesn’t make sense. I would rather go see Red Skelton and laugh for a couple hours than to do see a man dying an awful death on a cross.
BACKGROUND TO JESUS’ STATEMENT
John 12 closes the signs book (He will then move to the passion of Christ). 1) Marry anoints Jesus feet (elaborate love) 2) The triumphal entry – common to welcome a conquering hero – even the phrase “The crowds went out to him” is what was said about military victors. Jewish Nationalists saw Jesus as their conquering victor BUT to calm that, Jesus came riding in – not on a large white stallion, rather a humble young donkey. 3) Greeks want to speak with Jesus to which he gives a discourse about what is going to happen next.
John’s term “world” meant all who were in opposition to God. Yet now the Pharisees are saying “The whole world has gone out to him” and with the interest of the Greek/Gentiles, the time is ready when Jesus can fulfil his reason for being here in the first place.

And I, when I be lifted up from the earth will draw all men to myself.
John 12:19-36
So the Pharisees said to one another, "See, this is getting us nowhere. Look how the whole world has gone after him!"
20 Now there were some Greeks (Gentiles) among those who went up to worship at the Feast (God fearing Gentiles). They came to Philip (Phillip is a Greek name), who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, with a request. "Sir," they said, "we would like to see   Jesus (They have had opportunities to SEE Jesus – they mean have a conversation with him.)." Philip went to tell Andrew; Andrew and Philip in turn told Jesus. (Phillip may have been uncertain about including Gentiles – he and Andrew seem to have a special bond within the disciples – or he was afraid to talk directly to Jesus for some other reason).
23 Jesus replied, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!" (Jesus says I must die for this movement to grow – my church cannot be the church as long as I am here. When I die – even more seeds will be able to be planted all over the world -- Jesus got at this when he said, John 14:12-14 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.) Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and will glorify it again."
29 The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him. 30 Jesus said, "This voice was for your benefit, not mine. 31 Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out. 32 But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself.33 He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die.
34 The crowd spoke up, "We have heard from the Law that the Christ will remain forever, so how can you say, 'The Son of Man must be lifted up'? Who is this 'Son of Man'?"
35 Then Jesus told them, "You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is going. 36 Put your trust in the light while you have it, so that you may become sons of light." When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them.

          He hid himself from them – but only for a moment. Jesus death was meant to be a public spectacle viewed by Jew and Gentile – by those present and those not yet born. Jesus on the cross is not only a picture of horrific torture – it is the only picture we have ever had or ever will have of how we go from death to life eternal. Only through Jesus death on the cross do we have life. If Jesus did not die, there would be no salvation. If Jesus did not die – his reach would be limited. Because Jesus died, those who know where to find him take others to him – at the cross – high and lifted up – drawing everyone to himself.
BEING LIFTED UP WAS NOTHING NEW
Ex 17:11-13
As long as Moses lifted up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.
Num 21:8-9
The Lord said to Moses, "Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live." So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, he lived.
          That lifting up was temporary with temporary results. Though Jesus is no longer physically hanging on a Roman cross in Jerusalem – he may still be found there by those who seek him. It is not the cross that has power – it is Jesus lifted up on the cross. Jesus and Jesus alone has the power to draw everyone to himself.  But it is up to us to take people to him.  Paul said it best: 1 Cor 2:2-3 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.

Today is Rally Day – reminding us of the importance of getting back to church and back to Sunday school and small groups. Back to the essentials of our faith – Jesus and him crucified – Jesus risen from the dead – Jesus coming again. Jesus lifted up…drawing us close to himself!

Meditate on the (SLIDE) picture of Jesus – see the story of his birth, his miracles, his agony, his death and resurrection. Now close your eyes and see him lifted up. Now see how you can lift up his name so others to might see him.


And I, when I be lifted up from the earth will draw all men to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment