Sunday, June 12, 2016

06-12-16 What’s in your basket?

Scripture  John 15:1-8
INTRODUCTION
POSTLUDE TEXT:  John 15:9-11     "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
          Galatians 5:22     The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy
          Growing up seeing grape vineyards. Pics of Heinemann’s vineyards.
          Grapes became favorite food post-surgery and weight loss

John 15:1-8          The Message
"I am the Real Vine and my Father is the Farmer. 2 He cuts off every branch of me that doesn't bear grapes. And every branch that is grape-bearing he prunes back so it will bear even more. 3 You are already pruned back by the message I have spoken. 4 "Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you. In the same way that a branch can't bear grapes by itself but only by being joined to the vine, you can't bear fruit unless you are joined with me.
          5 "I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you're joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated, you can't produce a thing. 6 Anyone who separates from me is deadwood, gathered up and thrown on the bonfire. 7 But if you make yourselves at home with me and my words are at home in you, you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon. 8 This is how my Father shows who he is — when you produce grapes, when you mature as my disciples.

4 Baskets of Grapes – which best resembles your basket?
John 15:1-8          New International Version
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off (airw = to lift up) every branch in me that bears 1 no fruit, while every branch that does bear 2 fruit he prunes (to cleanse) so that it will be even 3 more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
          5  "I am the vine; you are the branches.  If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear 4 much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

How closely does this view of John 15 resemble the parable of the SOWER in Luke 8? 1 (hard path-trampled and birds ate) no yield 2 (Rocky soil – lack of moisture) temporary yield 3 (Thorns grew and choked the plant) longer yield 4 (Good soil) overflowing yield

The fruit can be salvation – most important – but the fruit could also be the fruit of the Spirit – more particularly for today – the fruit can be AND ought to be JOY! You have a privilege and responsibility to bear the fruit of JOY – not temporary-worldly-based on circumstances happiness that quickly comes and goes. I am talking about deep consistent JOY like king David had that caused him to dance and sing before the Lord. It is not something you can manufacture but something you experience only when you are connected closely to Jesus Christ. In fact, you cannot escape joy if you are closely connected to Jesus Christ. Even if your circumstances make it seem like you are far from him – as long as your branch is getting its life and nourishment form the Jesus vine you WILL HAVE JOY!!!

Oldest Living Grapevine
In Hampton Court, there is a grapevine that is reported to be the oldest living vine. It is over 230 years old. This grapevine has one root which is 12 feet round, and some of the branches are over 120 feet long. Despite its age the vine still produces 500 to 700 bunches of grapes every year, each bunch weighing about a pound. Although some of the branches are 120 feet from the main root, they still bear the sweet and delicious fruit because they are connected to the vine EVERY branch draws nourishment from that one vine.

The world is desperate for the church – that means each of you (& me) to push the delete button on our whining and complaining and looking for what is wrong with the world and our circumstances and just live an ABUNDANT FULL life in Jesus and we will be able to pass our basket of fruit around and discover the more we do, just like the feeding of the 5000, our baskets will be overflowing with much fruit to give away even more.

Are we responsible for others to discover Joy in knowing Jesus?

READ: GREENLESS CHILD

No comments:

Post a Comment