Sunday, November 15, 2015

11-15-15 Hilarious Journey

Scripture:                                             2 Corinthians 9:6-11
VIDEO: Mr. Likes to make change in the offering plate guy.
Praise the Lord HORSE story: (The reason for the joke was to make you laugh, chuckle or at least smile; because we are going to look at a single word in the scripture – in the original language it is pronounced “hilaros” from which we get the English word “hilarious.” I know the joke wasn’t hilarious, but for some odd reason the idea of Donovan on a horse about to plunge into disaster makes us chuckle inside…)
          It just makes our heart feel good – when we laugh…when we are cheerful. Our text for today tells us the best way to give is cheerfully – hilariously.
          Giving is not as much about having your money as it is about having your heart. God wants your heart. We are the church with heart and our giving should reflect that – indeed it does.
          Out of 140 churches in Mission Northwest – We are the second most generous church in our giving to the region and 5th highest in overall giving to ABC mission work.  Locally, we assist transients, church members with needs, we give generously to the Operation Christmas Child, Salvation Army, Valley House homeless Center and in support for children’s needs at Lincoln Elementary School.  That is just in direct finances and does not take into account time and abilities given for the sake of our community.  We are hilarious givers.

Matt 6:19-21
          Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.On “American Pickers” you can see where people keep stuff stored in a leaky barn till it has lost all value. And many of us have had something stolen at one time or another. Things that last are from your heart.
          Your heart has to be involved to give cheerfully.
Mark 12:41-44
          Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny.  Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others.  They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything — all she had to live on."
          She gave cheerfully.
Genesis 4:2-5
          Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil.  In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord.  But Abel brought fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering,  but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor.
          Abel gave cheerfully. (No guarantee about earthly tresures
2 Corinthians 9:6-11
Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 9 As it is written: "He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor; his righteousness endures forever." 10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11 You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
2 Cor 9:7 The MESSAGE
I want each of you to take plenty of time to think it over, and make up your own mind what you will give. That will protect you against sob stories and arm-twisting. God loves it when the giver delights in the giving.
CHEERFUL  hilaros NT:2431), from hileos, signifies joyousness, hence, "cheerful" (Eng., "hilarious"), 2 Cor 9:7, "God loves a cheerful (hilarious) giver."
Note: In the Sept. the verb hilaruno translates a Hebrew word meaning "to cause to shine"
A CHEERFUL LIVER
Mary Ann O'Roark: "As a little girl I heard grown ups repeat a bible verse that I was certain said, "God loveth a cheerful liver." I asked my grandma what a liver was. "It's a part inside you," she told me, "like your stomach or your heart." I puzzled over how to get my insides to be more cheerful. One day in Sunday school an older kid set me straight: "It's giver, not liver." But I don't think I got it all that wrong. God does love a cheerful liver."
RICH SO YOU CAN BE GENEROUS
          QUOTE: While I’m not a proponent of the health and wealth gospel, 2 Cor. 9:6-11 is nothing short of amazing in terms of a Biblical promise. How else would you interpret words like these? "You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion." With a promise like that how could you not be a generous and cheerful giver?
It’s like turning on a water faucet at home. I’m never afraid that the water will run out, because I know that my faucet is hooked up to the whole Edwards Aquifer. That’s billions of gallons of drinkable water behind my faucet. The only limit is my ability to pay my water bill.
And being generous in giving; amounts to being hooked up to the reservoir of a more generous Father than I could even think or imagine. I don’t have to be stingy or miserly knowing that my Father in Heaven has promised to make me rich in every way so that I can be generous on every occasion. The only limit is the limit of my ability to trust God to keep it coming. Knowing this assures us that we can be cheerful, joyful, hilarious givers.

Realize one thing in two ways – When you give joyfully you are not doing it alone – 1st) God is doing it through you 2nd) You are doing it with others. In the body of Christ we are never working alone – Here is an example of the bad things that could happen when you try working alone.

WORKING ALONE
          A letter to the insurance company called “Doing the Job Alone”.
Dear Sir,
          I’m writing in response to your request for additional information. In block 3 of the accident report form I put trying to do the job alone as the cause of my accident. In your letter you said I should explain more fully, and I trust the following details should be sufficient.
          I am a brick layer by trade and on the date of the accident I was working alone on the roof of a new six story building. When I had completed my work I had about 500 pounds of brick left over. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand or having someone to help me, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley that was fortunately attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.
          Securing the rope to the ground level I went to the roof, swung the barrel out, loaded the bricks into it and then I went to the ground, untied the rope while holding the rope tightly to insure a slow descent of 500 pounds. You will note in block 2 of the accident report that I weighed 160 pounds. Due to my surprise of being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rather rapid rate up the side of the building. In the vicinity of the 3rd floor I met the barrel coming down. This explains the fractured skull and the broken collar bone.
          Slowing down only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until my hand was two knuckles deep into the pulley. Fortunately, I regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope in spite of my pain. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel now weighed approximately 50 pounds. I refer you again to my weight in block #2. As you might imagine, I began a rather rapid descent down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the 3rd floor I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for my two fractured ankles and the lacerations on my legs. This encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell on the pile of bricks.
          I’m sorry to report, however, that as I lay on the bricks in pain, unable to stand, watching the empty barrel six stories above me, I again lost my presence of mind and let go of the rope. The empty barrel weighed more than the rope and so it came down and broke both of my legs.
          When you become a hilarious giver – you are always a partner with God and with your brothers and sisters in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment