Tuesday, November 5, 2013

11-03-13 Mary: Model of Faith


Scripture                                          Luke 10:38-42

Time, Trust, and Worship of Jesus are key ingredients for a person of faith.

Mary, Martha and Lazarus – that is the order we give their names – not the order others view them.

From what  your deacons and staff  learned at a conference yesterday, this family of 3 in Bethany – near Jerusalem, was a part of Jesus’ OIKOS – his 8-15 with whom he may have some influence.  How do I know he was a part of his OIKOS – his familial group?  John 11:5 Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.  Notice that Mary’s name is not given by John.  She holds a special place in Jesus’ heart, but the other disciples don’t seem to give her the credit she deserves.  There are people in your OIKOS that others don’t give them the credit they deserve for how Jesus can work in their lives.  Who are the 8-15 people among your relatives, neighbors, coworkers, classmates that you  would call your OIKOS? Your group? Your family and friends?  Which of them do not currently attend church anywhere?  Maybe you have invited 7 times and they have not responded.  Maybe some thought Mary wasn’t really that interested in Jesus.  In each of our stories about Mary, either Martha or Lazarus is the lead off to the story, but she seems to be at the center of Jesus’ heart.  And it is not how we think a person might or might not respond to Jesus, it is about how Jesus responds to that person.

SCENE 1  Jesus visits the home of Mary, where Jesus becomes her teacher.

Luke 10:38-42      As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. (Could opening her home to him mean to his disciples as well? – makes more sense about the preparations.) She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. (This is the perfect picture of a disciple.) But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" (I don’t think her request for help was out of line – it is what she didn’t say that is off the mark.  What if she had said, “Jesus, I can’t wait to sit and visit with you because I love our time together, but I know that you and the others are hungry, you sit and relax, but if Mary could help me for a few minutes, then we can visit while you eat.”) "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

A person of faith, takes time to visit with and listen to Jesus.

How do we do this? Read scripture, pray and meditate.

SCENE 2  Jesus visits the town of Mary, where Jesus becomes her Savior.

John 11:1-46

Jesus was near the place where John had baptized him.

Lazarus was sick. So the sisters sent word to Jesus, "Lord, the one you love is sick." The one you love (part of Jesus’ Oikos).

4 When he heard this, Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it."  Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. Yet when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days.

Then he said to his disciples, "Let us go back to Judea." "But Rabbi," they said, "a short while ago the Jews tried to stone you, and yet you are going back there?" "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up." His disciples replied, "Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better." So then he told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead, and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him."

Then Thomas said, "Let us also go, that we may die with him."

On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days. Bethany was less than two miles from Jerusalem, and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother. Mary and Martha and Lazarus each have their own Oikos (and each of their Oikos showed up – a larger audience for what Jesus was about to do).  Martha went out to meet Jesus, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” 23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again." Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day." Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" "Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."

28 Martha went back and called Mary aside. "The Teacher is here, and is asking for you." When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him. When the Oikos who had been with Mary in the house, comforting her, noticed how quickly she got up and went out, they followed her, supposing she was going to the tomb to mourn there. When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."

When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Oikos who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. "Where have you laid him?" he asked. "Come and see, Lord," they replied.  Jesus wept. (Jesus cares deeply for you)

Then the Jews said, "See how he loved him!" 37 But some of them said, "Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?" LOOK, some people in your Oikos get who Jesus is, some do not and you are the one who can invite them to see him as Mary was doing at this moment – she didn’t have to convince them, she just needed to get them near him and allow him to draw them to himself.)

38 Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. "Take away the stone," "But, Lord," said Martha, "by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days." Notice that Mary does not protest – she trusts Jesus.  Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"

So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me." When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!"  The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face.  Jesus said to them, "Take off the grave clothes and let him go."  Therefore many of the Oikos who had come to visit Mary, and had seen what Jesus did, put their faith in him.  WHO? The Oikos that visited Mary?  Why, she had put her trust in Jesus and they now saw why and put their trust in him as Savior as well.

SCENE 3  Jesus visits the heart of Mary, where Mary anoints Jesus as Lord.

John 12:1-11

Six days before the Passover, Jesus arrived at Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. Here a dinner was given in Jesus' honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. Mary went beyond taking time to visit or even putting her trust in Jesus, she worshipped him – humbling herself before him therefore making him her Lord!

4 But Judas Iscariot objected, "Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages."  He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it. "Leave her alone," Jesus replied. "It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

SUMMARY

Mary is one of those people of faith whom we see three times in scripture and learn more about her faith each time we see her:

1)    Mary and Martha – Mary has chosen what is right- spending time with Jesus

A person of faith finds ways to spend time with Jesus

2)    Lazarus has died – Jesus asked for Mary to come to him in her grief.

A person of faith finds ways to trust Jesus even when they don’t understand why.

3)    Mary anoints Jesus Feet – pure worship - A person of faith finds ways to worship Jesus – worship that costs something.

MARY: Amodel of faith for her Oikos and for you and me;     Time (teacher), Trust (Savior), and Worship (Lord) of Jesus are key ingredients for a person of faith.

Friendship of Christ

          I had to write to tell you how much I love you and care for you. Yesterday, I saw you walking and laughing with your friends; I hoped that soon you’d want Me to walk along with you, too. So, I painted you a sunset to close your day and whispered a cool breeze to refresh you. I waited – you never called – I just kept on loving you.

          As I watched you fall asleep last night, I wanted to touch you. I spilled moonlight onto your face – trickling down your cheeks as so many tears have. You didn’t even think of Me; I wanted so much to comfort you.

          The next day I exploded a brilliant sunrise into glorious morning for you. But you woke up late and rushed off to work – you didn’t even notice. My sky became cloudy and My tears were the rain.

          I love you, oh, if you’d only listen. I really love you. I try to say it in the quiet of the green meadow and in the blue sky. The wind whispers My love throughout the treetops and spills it into the vibrant colors of all the flowers. I shout it to you in the thunder of the great waterfalls and compose love songs for birds to sing for you. I warm you with the clothing of My sunshine and perfume the air with nature’s sweet scent. My love for you is deeper than any ocean and greater than any need in your heart. If you’d only realize how I care.

          My Dad sends His love. I want you to meet Him – He cares, too. Fathers are just that way. So, please; call on Me soon. No matter how long it takes, I’ll wait – because I love you.                                           COMMUNION

              39 years ago tomorrow, I gave Jesus my time, trust and worship and he became my teacher, savior, and Lord. 

share the story behind…Blest Be the tie that binds

Here is a short version of it: Dr. John Fawcett was the pastor of a small church at Wainsgate, and was called from there to a larger church in London in 1772. He accepted the call and preached his farewell sermon. The wagons were loaded with his books and furniture, and all was ready for the departure, when his parishioners gathered around him, and with tears in their eyes begged of him to stay. His wife said, ”Oh, John, John, I cannot bear this.” "Neither can I,” exclaimed the good parson,” and we will not go. Unload the wagons and put everything as it was before.” His decision was hailed with great joy by his people, and he wrote the words of this hymn in commemoration of the event. This song, and ”God be with you till we meet again,” are the most useful farewell hymns in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment