Sunday, May 22, 2022

05-22-22 “Graduation Friendships”

Scripture  Ecclesiastes 4:8-12
DRAMA: Eugene Buttrix – Graduation
 
In Elementary, Jr. High. And Sr. High School, I was a horrible academician. The fact that I can say, spell, and know the definition of academician suggests that at some point I determined to learn some stuff & such. My mother was a high school teacher in a different school district from where I went to school. The fact that I NEVER came home with home work or asked for help just didn’t seem to bother her all that much. My oldest brother Rick was very smart and got great grades. My other brother Phil did ok in school. But I was that kid who got passed on from year to year, but shouldn’t have.
As an adult I learned something about my mother’s view of education and life in general. She was a teacher who did not believe in giving homework, so she wasn’t worried about me not having much. More importantly, as an adult she told me that she never worried about me not doing well in school because I was able to get along with people. She figured anyone who can get along with people can always get a job. Most employers prefer the ability to work as a team over raw talent for the job. If a person is willing to learn and gets along with others, that is way more valuable than the most talented person who doesn’t try or doesn’t get along well with others.
 
Also, I discovered that an overwhelming majority of us have fewer friends (esp. close friends) as adults than we did when we were in school. That is one of the reasons I will enjoy my 45th class reunion in a few weeks – it will be a time to connect again with friends from high school. As we get older we are so involved with work and raising a family that we have less time, energy and or interest in developing friendships.
 
Speaking of friendships and school; congratulations to all of those who have achieved academic success and graduated from an educational institution. It seems like many who achieve degrees beyond high school, often look at that high school graduation as most special. For those who are about to graduate high school, a fascinating thing is about to happen – you have been with people for the past 4 years up to the past 12 years and more if you add in kindergarten and preschool. Many of these people you consider friends. Except for social media, the day after you graduate, you will never see a majority of them again during the rest of your life.
          What does that say about friendship? At your 10-year reunion you will have forgotten the names and even faces of some of them. Others whom you have not seen for 10 years, it will be like you were with them just yesterday. A few may be your friends for life even if you no longer live in the same city. Bryan Hitch and I have not lived near each other for decades, but I know, and he knows, if some major life event happens and we want or need each other, we will be on the next flight to be there for each other.  Proverbs 17:17   A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
 

A DESCRIPTION OF FRIENDSHIP
                     We all need a cheerleader in our lives – someone who encourages us in our triumphs and lifts us up in our failures. Someone who will point us to Jesus!
1 Thessalonians 5:11 & 15
                     Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.
There was a cartoon in a newspaper once, and the first frame showed a thief that was wearing a mask, and his weapon was pointed toward a frightened victim. The next scene the robber is holding out a sack and saying, ''Give me all of your valuables!'' In the next scene the victim begins stuffing into the sack all of his friends.
How To Make Friends
Solomon said, Proverbs 18:24 ''A man who has friends must himself be friendly.'' The friendliest people do make the most friends. “I went out to find a friend, but could not find one there. I went out to be a friend, and there were friends everywhere!”
                     On this Graduation Sunday, let’s look at one person who learned the lesson about being a friend to others.
 
DRAMA: VIDEO  “Graduation 2022 Pledge and Anthem”
 
                     The following text is our about having friends in this physical material world. Listen to this description: Ecclesiastes 4:8-12
                     There was a man all alone; he had neither son nor brother. There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth. "For whom am I toiling," he asked, "and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?" This too is meaningless — a miserable business!
                     9 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: 10 If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! 11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? 12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
                     There is a spiritual realm that is of far greater importance and we make a choice there as to who our friend will be – Satan or God!  Consider what each has done for you. One is a deceiver and a liar and one is faithful and true. In fact listen to this description of what a great friend Jesus is.  John 15:13   Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.  Jesus has laid down his life for you.  And, John 15:15   I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment