Sunday, April 19, 2020

04-19-20 KICK OUT THE JOY THIEF & HAVE SOME FUN

Scripture   John 10:1-10

Philippians 4:4       Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Prov 15:30    A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.
Proverbs 17:22     A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

WORKING ALONE
          A letter to the insurance company called “Doing the Job Alone”.
Dear Sir, I’m writing in response to your request for additional information. In block 3 of the accident report form I put trying to do the job alone as the cause of my accident. In your letter you said I should explain more fully, and I trust the following details should be sufficient.
          I am a brick layer by trade and on the date of the accident I was working alone on the roof of a new six story building. When I had completed my work, I had about 500 pounds of brick left over. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand or having someone to help me, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley that was fortunately attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.
          Securing the rope to the ground level I went to the roof, swung the barrel out, loaded the bricks into it and then I went to the ground, untied the rope while holding the rope tightly to insure a slow descent of 500 pounds. You will note in block 2 of the accident report that I weighed 160 pounds. CHUCKLE Due to my surprise of being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. CHUCKLE Needless to say, I proceeded at a rather rapid rate up the side of the building. In the vicinity of the 3rd floor I met the barrel coming down. This explains the fractured skull and the broken collar bone. LAUGHTER
          Slowing down only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until my hand was two knuckles deep into the pulley. Fortunately, I regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope in spite of my pain. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. LAUGHTER Devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel now weighed approximately 50 pounds. I refer you again to my weight in block #2. CHUCKLE As you might imagine, I began a rather rapid descent down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the 3rd floor I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for my two fractured ankles and the lacerations on my legs. CHUCKLE This encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell on the pile of bricks. LAUGHTER
          I’m sorry to report, however, that as I lay on the bricks in pain, unable to stand, watching the empty barrel six stories above me, I again lost my presence of mind and let go of the rope. LAUGHTER The empty barrel weighed more than the rope and so it came down and broke both of my legs. LAUGHTER

ACTUAL CHURCH BULLETIN ANOUNCEMENTS
1.     Low Self-Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 to 8:30 pm.  Please use the back door.
2.     Weight Watchers will meet at 7 p.m.  Please use the large double door at the side entrance.
3.     The audience is asked to remain seated until the end of the recession.
4.     The third verse of Blessed Assurance will be sung without musical accomplishment.
5.     Eight new choir robes are currently needed, due to the addition of several new members and to the deterioration of several others.
6.     The choir invites any member of the congregation who enjoys sinning to join the choir.
7.     Stewardship Offertory: “Jesus Paid It All”
8.     During the absence of our pastor, we enjoyed the rare privilege of hearing a good sermon thanks to Rev. Johnson who filled in.
9.     Due to the Pastor’s illness, Wednesday’s healing services will be discontinued until further notice.
10. The sermon this morning: Jesus Walks on the Water.  The sermon tonight: Searching for Jesus.
11. Barbara remains in the hospital and needs blood donors for more transfusions.  She is also having trouble sleeping and requests recordings of Pastor Jack’s sermons.
12. Ladies, don’t forget the rummage sale.  It is a good chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house.  Bring your husbands.
13. The peace-making meeting scheduled for today has been canceled due to a conflict.
14. The Associate Minister unveiled the church’s new tithing campaign slogan last Sunday: “I Upped My Pledge – Up Yours.”
15. Applications are now being accepted for 2-year-old nursery workers.
16. For those of you who have children and don’t know it, we have a nursery downstairs.
17. This afternoon there will be a gathering in the north and south ends of the church.  Children will be baptized at both ends.







B.C. Stands for Baptist Church
Mrs. Clifton Hord of Baird, Texas relates a rather strange reply to a request for a campground reservation. Mrs. Hord says that it actually happened to one of her friends, but we’ll let you be the judge. Here’s her story:
“My friend is a rather old-fashioned lady, always quite delicate and elegant, especially in her language. She and her husband were planning a weeks’ vacation in Florida, so she wrote to a particular campground and asked for a reservation.
“She wanted to make sure the campground was fully equipped, but didn’t quite know how to ask about the toilet facilities. She just couldn’t bring herself to write the word “toilet” in her letter. After much deliberation, she finally came up with the old-fashion term “bathroom commode”. But when she wrote that down, she still thought she was being to forward. So, she started all over again, rewrote the entire letter, and referred to the bathroom commode merely as B.C. “Does the campground have its own B.C?” is what she actually wrote.

Well the campground owner wasn’t old-fashion at all, and when he got the letter, he just couldn’t figure out what the woman was talking about.
After worrying about it for a while, he showed the letter to several campers, but they couldn’t imagine what the lady meant. So, the campground owner, finally coming to the conclusion that the lady must be asking about the location of the local Baptist Church, sat down and wrote the following reply:
“Dear Madam: I regret very much the delay in answering your letter, but I now take the pleasure of informing you that a B.C. is located nine miles north of the campground, CHUCKLE and is capable of seating 250 people at one time. CHUCKLE I admit it is quite a distance away if you are in the habit of going regularly, CHUCKLE but no doubt you will be pleased to know that a great number of people take their lunches along and make a day of it. LAUGHTER They usually arrive early and stay late. CHUCKLE
“The last time my wife and I went was six years ago, CHUCKLE and it was so crowded that we had to stand up the whole time we were there. LAUGHTER It may interest you to know that right now there is a supper planned to raise money to buy more seats. They’re going to hold it in the basement of the B.C. GROAN LAUGHTER
“I would like to say it pains me very much not to be able to go more regularly, LAUGHTER but it is surely no lack of desire on my part. CHUCKLE As we grow older, it seems to be more of an effort, particularly in the cold weather. SINGLE LAUGHTER
“If you do decide to come down to our campground, perhaps I could go with you the first time you go, sit with you and introduce you to all the other folks. LAUGHTER Remember, this is a friendly community.” LAUGHTER


John 10:1-10
I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice.  Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them.
During the Palestinian uprising in the late 1980’s the Israeli army decided to punish a village near Bethlehem for not paying taxes. The commanding officer rounded up all of the village animals and placed them in a large barb-wire pen. Later in the week he was approached by a woman who begged him to release her flock of sheep., arguing that since her husband was dead, the animals were her only source of livelihood. He pointed to the pen containing hundreds of animals and laughed as he said it was impossible because there was no way to find her animals. She asked if she could separate them herself, would he be willing to let her take them? He agreed. A soldier opened the gate and the woman’s son produced a small reed flute. He played a simple tune over and over – and soon sheep heads began popping up across the pen. The young boy continued his music and walked home, followed by their flock of 25 sheep.
THE SHEPHERD BECOMES THE GATE
          7 Therefore Jesus said again, I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

When Jesus is speaking here it is during the festival of Hanukkah, also known as the festival of Dedication commemorating the rededication of the temple in Jerusalem after Israel’s leaders contributed to the demise of Yahweh worship and the Greek soldiers desecrated the temple with pig’s blood, burned scripture scrolls and erected a pagan idol in the temple.  Imagery used to describe Israel’s leaders were that of a bad shepherd compared to a good shepherd. Jesus is using that same imagery here going so far as to call Israel’s current spiritual leaders – thieves, and pointing out that he is the good shepherd.  The thieves steal the joy of the people and the good shepherd brings joy.

          As shown earlier, shepherds of Jesus day would often have a flute and play a particular tune that would make that shepherds sheep come out from among the larger flock. Sometimes it would be the voice of the shepherd alone that would call them out.  Note that (unlike herding cattle) the shepherd does not drive the sheep – he is out front and leads the sheep – they willingly follow him.

          The most important thing to take from this portion of scripture is = who Jesus is and how Jesus is toward us is made known. He is the one, who in the darkest of nights will protect us and watch out for us and in the light of day will lead us to water and green pastures. Knowing we have someone like that looking out for us allows us to have joy and not have it stolen away by what the thief has taken from us.

          The problem is, the world allows the thieves in, often encourages the thieves, seek out the thieves. In a study George Barna asked high school students where they would turn in times of tension, confusion or crisis. Fathers were ranked 25 on the list. Mothers were ranked 11. Music and personal friends topped the list.  That means in a time of tragedy or difficulty, young people are looking in all the wrong places for help when trying to get out of the desert and find pasture and clean water.
THE SCRIPTURE POSTLUDE
John 10:11-16
I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So, when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father — and I lay down my life for the sheep.

          You may be asking what John 10 and Jesus being the good shepherd has to do with JOY.
The answer EVERYTHING: Because we are sheep who have no idea when or if this Coronavirus will end. But God does, and He is the only one who cares for us like a good shepherd helping us to go in and out and find green pasture and clean water. And, knowing he is like that toward us allows us to live in His joy.
Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Happiness (like my humorous stories at the beginning) is fleeting; but JOY come in the morning!



PICNIC with the Pastor

Philippians 4:4      “Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice. Have a gentle attitude toward everyone. The Lord is coming soon.”

We try to get joy the wrong ways sometimes by putting things into our lives that are not good for us.

GREEN        =     Envy, Jealousy, Money

RED             =     Party – Temporary Happiness, Better than others

YELLOW    =     A light for others

PURPLE      =     Jesus is the King of kings

BLUE           =     Heaven one day

No comments:

Post a Comment