Sunday, May 12, 2019

5-12-19 What does Momma remember?

Scripture  Isaiah 49:13-16
          13 Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.
14 But Zion said, "The Lord  has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me." 15 "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! 16 See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.

MEMORIES FOR MOTHER
(Memories for God)

What are the memories you made for your mother who has passed away?
What are the memories you are making for mother who is living?
There are books (SLIDE memory making mom.) to help mom’s make and keep track of memories with their children.

EXAMPLE
MY BAD THINGS:  Shop lifting / Poison Ivy / Not taking out the trash
MY GOOD THINGS: Cleaning the basement when she didn’t ask for it
      Always being in at curfew or calling to ask to stay out later.
      Going to Starbucks or playing golf whenever possible - that is…
      …(spending time together)

What are the memories you made for God in the past?
What are the memories you are making for God now and until the end of your life?
We tend not to think about God having memory. God is so busy dealing with us in the present, He has no time to bring the angels around, along with the 12 tribes of Israel or the 12 disciples and bust out the 8 mm projector, the VHS tapes, the DVD’s or the digital footage of Creation and the fall of Adman and Eve; the crossing of the red sea and the worshipping a golden calf; or David having an affair with Bathsheba and having her husband killed and young David standing foursquare against the Goliath the giant when no one else would and trusting God for the victory.
Surely, God has no time to show the eagerness of the disciples when Jesus first called them to follow him, and then how they fumbled and bumbled their way through ministry with doubt. Or Peter showing great faith to walk on water but a complete lack of faith when he saw the waves and fell into that same water. Or when Saul was seeking to imprison and even murder Jesus’ followers and then to become the greatest missionary the world has ever known.

Of course God has memory. Of course, God has time to remember.

What does a mother’s memory, or God’s memory for that matter have to do with worship?
EVERYTHING!!! Most of what we do in worship is because we remember what God has done. What did Jesus say about the Last Supper Communion - “As often as you do this, do it ‘n remembrance of me.’
What do I say about preaching? I don’t tell you anything new, my job is to remind you of what you already know. What memories do you want God to have once you are in glory? You will have no opportunity to go back and change them!
I want God to have the kind of memories of me that I shared with my mother (Doing good things when she didn’t ask, being in at curfew - Starbucks, golfing / likewise with God, I want him to remember that I did my best to serve him, that I worked to live a life holy and pleasing to Him, and more important than all that, that I wanted to spend time with him and His people - not only did I miss very few opportunities to be in corporate worship but I did everything I could to encourage others to spend time with Him as well, be that working hard on sermons to make them engaging or promoting a 40 Days of Worship challenge to encourage consistent worship.

Isaiah 49:13-16
          13 Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.
14 But Zion said, "The Lord  has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me." 15 "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! 16 See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.

The original context was that over and over and over again the people of Israel were complaining and saying that God had forgotten them.

Isaiah 66:7-11
Before she goes into labor, she gives birth; before the pains come upon her, she delivers a son.  Who has ever heard of such a thing? Who has ever seen such things? Can a country be born in a day or a nation be brought forth in a moment? Yet no sooner is Zion in labor than she gives birth to her children. Do I bring to the moment of birth and not give delivery?" says the Lord. "Do I close up the womb when I bring to delivery?" says your God. "Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her, all you who love her; rejoice greatly with her, all you who mourn over her. For you will nurse and be satisfied at her comforting breasts; you will drink deeply and delight in her overflowing abundance."

God does remember us and he has done things for us that he wants us to remember and pass on to others.
As an adult, who’s mother has passed away, I am sure there is much I will never know that my mother did for me. There are many things I am aware of - how a divorced single mother of 3 boys in 1962 (when divorce was much less common and a divorcee was looked down upon) that she sacrificed a lot for her 3 sons.

ILLUSTRATION OF A MOTHER’S SARIFICE
There was a teenager who didn't want to be seen in public with her mother, because her mother's arms were terribly disfigured.
One day when her mother took her shopping and reached out her hand, a clerk looked horrified. Later, crying, the girl told her how embarrassed she was. Understandably hurt, the mother waited an hour before going to her daughter's room to tell her, for the first time, what happened.
When you were a baby, I woke up to a burning house. Your room was an inferno. Flames were everywhere. I could have gotten out the front door, but I decided I'd rather die with you than leave you to die alone. I ran through the fire and wrapped my arms around you. Then I went back through the flames, my arms on fire. When I got outside on the lawn, the pain was agonizing but when I looked at you, all I could do was rejoice that the flames hadn't touched you.
Stunned, the girl looked at her mother through new eyes. Weeping in shame and gratitude, she kissed her mother's marred hands and arms.

          When I see Jesus with a crown of thorns, a back ripped open from being lashed 39 times, nail holes in his hand and feet and a hole form a spear thrust in his side, I REMEMBER that those scars were put there when he sacrificed himself for me to save me from death - and when I remember that, I can do nothing other than to bow down and worship.
In place of those nail holes - consider our text for today - Isaiah 49:14-16
          But Zion said, "The Lord  has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me." "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment