Sunday, July 15, 2018

7-15-18 Kindness – The NEW witness!

Scripture  Ephesians 4:29-32

This past week I was the recipient of an act of kindness; and I was a witness to an act of kindness from one person to another.

We live in a world that is anything but kind. Words and actions of unkindness, meanness, nastiness, brutality, malice, spite, vindictiveness, callousness, harshness and heartlessness abound from the wealthiest and highest positions to the poorest and the outcast. Unkindness has no boundaries and escapes no segment of life.

Ephesians 4:29-32
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

ILUSTRATION:
A Youth in Japan was moved by the kindness of a gentle elderly man. The man, a missionary, had not been in this Asian country for many years and was still limited in his use of Japanese. Yet, each week he visited the young man’s home to discuss the Bible. With friendly smiles and kindly manners, he patiently answered the many questions that the curious young student raised.
The kind ways of the elderly missionary left an indelible impression on the young man. ‘If the Bible makes a man so kind and loving,’ thought the young man, ‘then by all means I should learn about it.’ This gave him the incentive he needed to study something totally foreign to him. Yes, kindness touches the human heart and speaks to it, often more powerfully than words can. You may have heard the phrase – “You may be the only bible someone ever reads.”

Should people be kind just because it is the right thing to do? YES! Daily life would be so much better if people (regardless of religion) would use words and perform acts of kindness.  How many of us hear an unkind word or are subjected to an unkind act every day? In the world of social media, the lack of kindness has soared to new levels as people hide behind a screen name and say all kinds of nasty things. I used to love to play online hearts – played with people al over the world and could chat as you played. It became a problem as people would play and become cruel if they weren’t winning. I stopped playing years ago because of that. This last week I thought I would see if it still exists – it does…but without the live chat.

          For non spiritual reasons it makes sense - Proverbs 11:17  Those who are kind benefit themselves, but the cruel bring ruin on themselves.
Luke 6:31  Do to others as you would have them do to you.
          Even though we should all be kind because it is a better way to live, that may not be reason enough. There are two higher reasons we should speak and act kindly.

REASON 1 Because God does
          Over and over the bible speaks of God’s kindness – Isaiah 63:7 I will tell of the kindnesses of the Lord, the deeds for which he is to be praised, according to all the Lord has done for us—yes, the many good things he has done for Israel, according to his compassion and many kindnesses.
          Romns 5:8  But God demonstrates his own love (kindness) for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

REASON 2 Because Jesus wants us too – the bible says so
Jesus wants us too:
Matthew 5:46-48
 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

The bible tells us too:
I Cor 13:4-8, 13
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love (which is kindness).

NOTE the contrast between what not to do and what to do – only 2 things to do – be patient and kind. Paul carries that Don’t do this and do this theme into our text for today…
Ephesians 4:29-32
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs.
31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
          Paul gives us an ethic of kindness – he paints a picture if you will and we must stare at that picture daily if we are to change and become more Christlike. We cannot copy what we do not see. We must see the picture of the kindness of Christ – dying on the cross out of kindness for those who sinned and turned their back on him.  When we see that picture, we can’t help but act toward others ALL OTHERS in kindness. When we do that, we become the artist and are painting a picture of kindness, therefore of Christ, for all the world to see.

          KINDNESS is the new witness. We are now no longer motivated to be kind because it is the right and better way to live – we now have the intention of experiencing God as we speak words and do acts of kindness because he is living and working through us – what a difference that makes. I can take it or leave it if it simply benefits me – but if it somehow allows me to experience the reality of God in my life – I want that more than anything. Let the kindness begin. Keep in mind that kindness is an act of the will – God works with us – not on us.

I mentioned that I received words and an act of kindness this week. Someone responded to a need, not because it was a right or better thing to do, but because they were living as the hands and feet of their savior Jesus Christ.

The words and act of kindness I observed I was also involved in. My kindness motivation was because it was right – so my the words I said…and those I refrained from saying were less Christ influenced and more duty influenced. Then along comes a church member who takes the person and shows them great words and acts of kindness that were absolutely an ethical intention based on an awareness of Christ – having seen the picture of his kindness toward them and measuring it out to one of the least of these. It was a beautiful thing to watch and made me want to be more like that, therefore more like Christ in his kindness toward others.

Matthew 25:31-    When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.
“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?
“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

          Remember the young man in Japan who was shown kindness by an elderly missionary -because of that kindness – he found NEW life in Christ. Kindness…the new witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment