Sunday, March 25, 2018

3-25-18 Mime of the Crucifixion

MIME OF THE CRUCIFIXION
By Jeff Cooper

Music Interlude

                              Enter Back Left:    Motion for disciples to “follow me”.
                                        Don’t worry about what you eat or drink.
                                        Don’t worry about what to wear / Solomon / Lilies of the field
                              Walk UR isle and back DC isle.
                                        God parted the seas. Heal people.
                              Walk half way UC cross to L and back DL.
                                        Pour water into basin, sit on edge of stage L and wash/dry feet.
                                        Stand, cross R, sit and serve the bread and the cup.
                              Stand and Cross R inviting the 11 to follow – then the 3 to come into the
garden with you and to stay and pray while you go L to pray.

Narration: Though you are you…

                              Lift cup for God to take it.
                                        Cross R to sleeping disciples – wake them. Back L to pray again.
                                        Cross R to sleeping disciples – wake them. Back L to pray again.
                                        Cross R to sleeping disciples – wake them. Show them the guards are
Coming – Kiss Judas – keep disciples from fighting.
Tied and taken away out L
[Change to robe #2, black R eye L cheek, dirt on arms and legs, hair messed up]

Muisc-Narration-Slides
Narration: (SLIDE  Jesus & 3 in garden / Jesus praying in garden / Jesus in prayer in garden / Olive Trees) Can you be brave enough my other self…


MUSIC CHANGE
                              Enter R cross C on box hands tied to post above head. 39 lashes
                              Taken down exit R.
[crown of thorns, blood, circles on hands and feet, lashes on back]

Muisc-Narration-Slides
Narration: (SLIDE  Jesus being whipped / Jesus carrying cross / Nailed to cross (Screen up)



MUSIC CHANGE – Song “A Nail” Blue follow spot to red.
                              Enter back C Carrying Cross, fall at front, get up and thank Simon. Look at
people cross L then up on stage cross R then L between tables then R
to C under cross. Respond to song.

End flashing light from behind and red spot fade out.
After narration – black out.
         

Much of the following was taken from Everyone’s Way of the Cross by Clarence Enzler


Who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed? For he grew up before me like a tender shoot and like a root through the parched ground. He has no stately formal majesty that we should look upon him nor appearance that we should be attracted to him. He was despised and forsaken with men. A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief and like ….men hide their face./ He was despised and we did not esteem him. Surely our grace even saw more and our sorrows he carried. Yet we ourselves  .. and stricken smitten of God and afflicted but he was pierced through for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities.   .. for our wellbeing fell upon him. And by his strife, we are healed. All of us like sheep who have gone astray. Each of us has turned to his own way, but the Lord has caused the iniquity of us all to fall on him. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted yet he did not open his mouth. Like a lamb that is led to slaughter, and like a sheep that is silent for their shearers, he did not open his mouth. Though you are you and I am I, yet we are truly one, one Christ and therefore my way to the cross 2000 years ago and your way now are also one. But no distance, my life was incomplete until I found it by my death. Your steps will only be complete when you … by your life. This cross, this chunk of tree is what my father chose for me. The crosses you must bare are largely products of your daily life. And yet my father chose them too for you. Receive them from his hands. Take heart my other self, I will not let your burdens grow one ounce too heavy for your strength. The God who made the universe and holds it in existence by his will alone becomes as man to you to bare a piece of …. Weight. How human in his weakness is the son of man. My Father willed it to us. My strength is gone. I can no longer bare the cross alone. And so the Roman garrison makes silent.   The silence is like you my other self. Give me your strength. Can you be brave enough my other self to wipe my bloody face? Where is my face you ask. At home whenever I spill tears, at work when tensions rise, on playgrounds, in the slums, the courts, the hospitals, the jails; wherever suffering exists. My face is there and there I look for you to wipe away my blood and tears.

One, two, three, four, five, six, Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven, blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted; blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth, blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be satisfied, blessed are the merciful for they shall receive mercy; blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God; blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called sons of God; blessed are those who have been persecuted for righteousness sake for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven; blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you, and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely for my sake, rejoice and be glad for your reward is great in Heaven.

Completely drained of strength, I lie collapsed upon the cobblestones, my body could not move. No gloves, no kiss can rouse it up. Yet my will is mine and so is yours. Know this my other self, your body can be broken but no force on earth and none in hell can take away your will. Your will is yours. Behold my other self the poorest king whoever lived before my creatures I stand straight. The Cross, my deathbed, even this is not my own. Yet who hasn’t… possessing nothing, I own all. My Father’s love. Can you imagine what a crucifixion is? My executioners stretch out my arms, they hold my hand and wrist against the wood and press the nail until it stabs my flesh, then with one heavy hammer smash they drive it through and pain bursts like a ball of fire through my brain. They seek the other arm and agony again explodes and then raising up my knees so that my feet are flat against the wood, they hammer them fast too. The cross becomes a pole now to speak I must raise myself by pressing against my wrist and and feet and every move engulfs me in new waves of agony and then when I have born enough and emptied my humanity, I let my mortal life depart. So ends my mortal life, but now another life begins. My work as man is done. My work within and through my church must now commence. I look to you my other self, day in day out from this time forward, be my disciples, make others disciples too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment