Sunday, February 11, 2018

2-11-18 Getting to know You!

The following was not the intended message. Due to icy road conditions, we canceled service but worshipped with the 20 who arrived anyway. After sharing the scriptures below people shared testimonies of times when Jesus was very real to them.

Scripture  Luke 14:16-24
Jesus loves us by letting us get to know him.
Born like we were born – poor – not in a palace
Raised like we were raised – asserting his independence at age 12 – but obedient to parents.
Let himself be found: at his Baptism – at a wedding – at a well – in a home – at church/synagogue – at work – in prayer – at the transfiguration.

John 12:32-33
But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself.”  33 He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die.

Scriptures of Jesus wanting people to know him.
Ps 76:1
In Judah God is known; his name is great in Israel.

Ps 98:2
The Lord has made his salvation known and revealed his righteousness to the nations.

Ps 103:7
He made known his ways to Moses, his deeds to the people of Israel.

Isa 19:21
So the Lord will make himself known to the Egyptians, and in that day they will acknowledge the Lord.

Ezek 38:23
And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord.

Ezek 39:7
I will make known my holy name among my people Israel. I will no longer let my holy name be profaned, and the nations will know that I the Lord am the Holy One in Israel.

Mark 6:14
King Herod heard about this, for Jesus' name had become well known.

John 1:17-18
For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.

John 1:29-34
The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel." Then John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God."

Rom 1:19-20
What may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities — his eternal power and divine nature — have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

1 Cor 2:16
"For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

1 Cor 13:8-12
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

CONCLUSION – I want everyone at my feast
Luke 14:16-24
Jesus replied: "A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.' "But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, 'I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.' "Another said, 'I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I'm on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.' "Still another said, 'I just got married, so I can't come.'
          "The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.' "'Sir,' the servant said, 'what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.'
          "Then the master told his servant, 'Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full.”

We love others by letting them get to know Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment