Sunday, September 18, 2016

09-18-16 Here we go round the mulberry bush

Scripture  Luke 17:5-6
VIDEO: Mustard Seed Faith
INTRODUCITON
Our first home was at 101 N Westmore in Columbus. It had two trees in the front yard – one diseased and one huge. How I removed the large one – the roots were two much even for a backhoe.
5 The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!"
6 He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.

Here we go round the mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush.
Here we go round the mulberry bush
So early in the morning.
This was associated with a children’s game acting out the verses. What’s wrong with the song? Mulberry’s do not grow on bushes; they grow on trees (various theories why it was called a bush).
The root structure of a mulberry tree is vastly different than that of most trees. Most trees have a vertical root system and may mirror the foliage toward the top of the tree. That is: the roots go down deep. MULBERRY ROOTS The mulberry has a vertical root system as well, but has an even more extensive vertical root system that goes no deeper than two feet but spreads out even further than the edge of the canopy size of its branches and leaves. It does this to get nutrients far and wide. Watering a mulberry tree is done past the size of the tree, not at the trunk like most of us would do.

My faith won’t let me put out into the deep. Why? Can I change that?

Story of Noah building the ark – my faith wouldn’t let me do that.

Story of Abraham sacrificing Isaac – my faith wouldn’t let me do that.

Story of Peter walking on Water – my faith wouldn’t let me do that.

Story of Stephen – would my faith let me do that? I hope so.
          (First I would ask to speak to the assassin’s supervisor…)

Some churches seem to grow and grow – do I have faith Ashland can have that happen? I would say, “well I don’t have enough history to know what we are capable of.” What’s wrong with that? That assumes people are at the center of church growth and seeing people saved. I know what Jesus can do – that is where my faith needs to be. But I have already talked myself out of a spiritual giant type of faith. WAIT WAIT WAIT – Jesus didn’t say I needed to have a spiritual giant kind of faith. He said, and I quote: If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.

Jesus said several things there:
Mustard seeds are the small round seeds of various mustard plants. MUSTARD SEED The seeds are usually about (0.039 to 0.079 in) in diameter and may be colored from yellowish white to black. They are an important spice in many regional foods and may come from one of three different plants: black mustard, brown Indian mustard, or white mustard-mixed with water or vinegar it creates ‘mustard’.
1)    Not everyone has faith. “If you have faith…”
2)    Faith comes in different sizes “…as small as a mustard seed”
3)    You can speak and act in faith beyond your natural abilities.
4)    Speak/Act in faith (in Jesus is implied) and the thing spoken to will obey HIM.


Let’s recall – my faith/our faith is not giant – it seems pretty small when compared to Noah, Abraham, Peter and Stephen. But to do a great thing, as impressive as moving a tree with an astounding root system and tossing it aside, we only need a little faith…HOW LITTLE? As little as yours and we will see God move in the lives of people in Oregon, Ohio and the surrounding area like never before. So, do you have faith in Jesus? Is it an active faith? Will you be counted among Jesus’ apostles – ones who are sent in His name out into the deep where you will let down your nets, because you KNOW there will be a great catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment