Sunday, February 14, 2016

02-14-16 A 7 Day Experiment in Trust


Scripture  Psalm 23:1-6
Video:  Little girl reciting Psalm 23  (“surely?”)
          My primary job is to remind you what you already know. The canon of scripture was closed over 1600 years ago. The same Spirit who inspired what is written in the Bible inspires my preparation and delivery AND your receiving and understanding. I don’t have anything new to tell you. I can only remind you what the scripture already says.  However, some secondary jobs of mine related to the first is to get you to hunger for God’s Word, to remember God’s Word, to apply God’s Word to your life, and to live out God’s Word.
          Therefore, today, and for the rest of your life I hope to make the 23rd Psalm a part of your life like it never has been before. I am going for life changing here. This is probably the most well-known of all Old Testament passages of scripture among Christians and comes in second in the entire bible only to John 3:16. So the material is nothing new, but I hope your reception and subsequent application is fresh and long lasting.
The 23rd Psalm is known as the Shepherds Psalm – so let’s look at why that is important to us.
          John 10:1-5; 7-11
          "I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice."
          "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."
          How well David knew God to describe Him so perfectly, even as He would later reveal Himself in Jesus!  In light of that I want to give you a 7 day challenge to change your life. Each day for the next week, take one of the 7 points made in Psalm 23 – memorize that portion of the scripture, meditate on it and receive the promise God has for you in this great passage.
                   Psalm 23   (KJV)
1)      THE LORD WILL WORK FOR ME!
          The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
          We constantly feel inadequate – like we are not working hard enough for the Lord. The problem with that is we miss the point that God is working for us. Just like the good shepherd who would scout for green pastures and sources of water while we sleep. Even while he is tending to our current needs he is also preparing a way for our future needs. Maybe our greatest work is to stop and thank him for what a loving shepherd he is and for all the work he does on our behalf.
          Sheep have a will of their own – and so do we. We get anxious about something and try working it out instead of trusting that the Lord is working for us.  This week, I don’t want you to try to manipulate anything into working out for you. Ask God to work out all things for your good (Romans 8:28) do what he says and trust Him for the results.
          Live like the little boy who messed up the words and said, “The Lord is my shepherd, I don’t want anything else!
          ILLUS: TWO MEN recite psalm 23 Great actor and an old man: “I know the psalm, but obviously, this man knows the shepherd”

2)      THE LORD WILL PROVIDE FOR ME!
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
Matthew 6:33   But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
          He leads us to what we need (we have to follow) – green grass and still water. You can’t make a sheep lie down unless certain things are in place: 1) free of fear 2) coat cleared of parasites 3) well fed 4) knowledge of the presence of the shepherd.
          Water cannot be running water – they will drown from weight of wet wool.
3)      THE LORD WILL KEEP ME GOING!
He restoreth my soul:
          When you are downcast it is hard to keep going. Have you ever been downcast? The term comes from sheep. A sheep lying down near a hallow can roll over on its back but the wool or fatness of the sheep makes it hard to right itself. The term for this is that the sheep is cast – or downcast. The shepherd lifts the sheep and holds him till blood returned to the legs then sets him on the ground to move again – restores my soul!
          How many times had David found himself downcast by things he had done or things others were doing to him – each time the Lord restored his entire being – his soul!
4)      THE LORD WILL GUIDE ME!
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
          When we follow our parents, Adam and Eve – we go the wrong way. When we follow our Lord and Savior Jesus, we go the right way. It is not a question of being a follower – we all follow one or the other. It is simply a choice of who we will follow. Following A & E requires nothing of us. Following Jesus requires intention of the will – you have to want to follow him.
5)      THE LORD WILL PROTECT ME!
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
          Hinnon Valley (Gehenna = hell) Christians walk in the shadow of death but need not fear it’s full effect as it serves as a transition point.
          His weapons of protection were a staff and a rod.
6)      THE LORD WILL HEAL ME!
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
          The shepherd would rub oil into the sheep’s wool to repel insects and as a healing balm for cuts and bruises. Imagine how good this would feel to the dusty, dirty sheep to have the shepherd massaging oil onto your back and legs and on top of your head. No wonder the sheep would follow only him. He cares so much for them. The shepherd could have them graze in a pasture as long as he was there to keep predator animals away.
          “Cup” in Hebrew really refers to “my life”. Because I belong to the loving shepherd – my life overflows with good things.
7)      THE LORD WILL PURSUE ME!
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
          To follow (יִ֭רְדְּפוּנִי / yir·de·fu·ni) means to pursue. Goodness and Mercy will pursue me every day of my life!  That is a promise that rings true!
          I will dwell in his house forever! Will you! Will you? How do you know?  John 14:1-4  Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.

A 7 Day Experiment in Trust
          Dr. Charles Allen, beloved Methodist minister, tells the story of a friend who came to see him one day. His friend was nervous, tense, and he had literally worried himself sick. The man's physician had suggested that he see his minister. They talked for awhile, and then Allen took a pad of paper from his desk drawer.
          "If you went to see a doctor, he would give you a prescription, and that's what I want to do," Allen said. "Take the prescription exactly as I write it. Five times a day for seven days I want you to read prayerfully and carefully the twenty-third psalm. When you awaken, before each meal and at bedtime, read the psalm." Charles Allen says that in a week his friend returned literally a different person.
CONCLUSION: The good shepherd is the author of LIFE!
          Tim Zingale wrote: My brother served his first parish in Massillon, Ohio, as an associate pastor, with the late Pastor Maurice "Mo" White. Pastor White was a very large, strong and vibrant man. During one Lenten season, one of the older, but faithful members of the church came with her husband to an evening Lenten service. As they were leaving the service, the woman somehow fell down the outside flight of steps and broke her hip. For some unknown cause, she did not recover from the hip surgery and died in a few short days. Pastor White stood with the bereaved husband by the casket the night before the funeral. Many people came to offer their sympathies. Some were saying to the sorrowing husband, "God must of had a plan for this, so accept it." Another said, "It was God’s will and we must live by it." Still another said, "Somehow God planned this to test your faith!!" And still another said, "There is a sliver lining in every cloud, you will find God’s reason behind this eventually.
          Pastor White left that funeral home filled with a very strong emotion of anger at the "babbling", as he put it, he heard that evening. He went to the study and rewrote the beginning of his funeral sermon.
          Pastor White began his funeral sermon with this phrase: "My God does not push old ladies down church steps!!!" Then he proceeded to explain that God cannot be blamed or accused for all the brokenness of this world. If God is the author of death, how, how can He be at the same time the author of life as shown through the resurrection we celebrate each Sunday and especially on Easter. Is God the God of the living, or the God of the dead? You cannot have it both ways.
          When we walk through the Valley of the shadow of death we walk not fearing death, rather following the good shepherd who is also the author of LIFE – abundant and eternal!

No comments:

Post a Comment