Sunday, September 20, 2015

09-20-15 Journey to the center of the church

Scripture:  John 1:26-31
Birth of the church
Jesus walking into the Jordon River announcing that the kingdom of God is among us.  Isn’t that what the church is supposed to be? The kingdom of God among us? Do you know there are people who would disagree with that, and say that the church is where I meet my friends, where I learn the bible, where I give to missions, where I have potlucks, where I meet with God. The church is one thing: The kingdom of God among us. People in Jesus’ day didn’t get that and here is the result: Matt 12:22-28

Then they brought him a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute, (demons come indifferent forms – this one is exact opposite of last week’s Legion of demons) and Jesus healed him, so that he could both talk and see. All the people were astonished and said, "Could this be the Son of David?" (the kingdom of God among us)  24 But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, "It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons." 25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand? And if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your people drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. 28 But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 

          When I was 15 years old, on a Monday night in November in Zanesville Ohio, about an hour East of Columbus, the kingdom of God came near to me and I met the King and told him that I wanted to be in His kingdom, and in that moment, the King of the kingdom of God welcomed me in as a citizen of his kingdom.

          Someone might say, well then if you are in the kingdom of God/or the kingdom of heaven, how can you still be here on earth?  Great question.  Let me try and answer it.

JESUS ANNOUNCED TO THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL – THE CHURCH / Baptism
          John 1:26-31
"I baptize with water," John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know. He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie." This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptizing. 29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' 31 I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel." 

ONLY THE KING CAN LET YOU IN TO HIS KINGDOM / Confirmation
Matthew 16:13-20
When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?" They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets." "But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?" 16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." 17 Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." 

PILATE SAW JESUS AS KING OF THE JEWS

John 18:31-19:22   (Narrate the story between Pilate and Jesus)

19:19 Pilate had a notice prepared and fastened to the cross. It read: JESUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JEWS. Many of the Jews read this sign, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city, and the sign was written in Aramaic, Latin and Greek. The chief priests of the Jews protested to Pilate, "Do not write 'The King of the Jews,' but that this man claimed to be king of the Jews." Pilate answered, "What I have written, I have written." 

BEYOND HIS EARTHLY LIFE JESUS REVEALS THE CHURCH/KINGDOM ON EARTH
Revelation 1:10-20
On the Lord's Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, which said: "Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea."

I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone "like a son of man," dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

Write, therefore, what you have seen, what is now and what will take place later. The mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand and of the seven golden lampstands is this: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches. 

PARABLES ABOUT THE KINGDOM OF GOD ON EARTH

Matthew 13:31-33                (Church GROWTH)
He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches." He told them still another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount of flour until it worked all through the dough."

Matthew 21:43-44                  (Bear Fruit or die)
"Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit.

John 18:36                              (Not OF this world-but FROM another place)
Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place." 

THE LORD OF LIFE by Ann Weems

O Lord, we’re playing Pharisee again, more interested in the Sunday morning count
Than in the feeding of your sheep, more interested in stars for our crowns
Than in that cup of cold water, more interested in tradition and appearance
Than in the following of our Lord.

O Jesus, you were real and we made you saccharine and hung you on the church school wall and told all the little children you wanted them to sit still.
O Jesus, you were here and now and we made you something in the sweet by and by and told all the people in need to see you in heaven.

O Jesus, you walked in our shoes in our marketplace and we told you to stay in your sandals, in a faraway place, in a long ago time, stay back in the Bible.
O Jesus, we made you a baby that didn’t cry, we made you a boy with good manners, we made you a man, sweet and gentle.

We tossed you pennies, then told you how to spend them. We built you temples, then told you who could enter them.  We made you wood and plastic and concrete and locked you in the church. We made you a goody-goody god and stood before the world with joyless faces and pointing fingers and tsk-tsk-tsk cold voices, declaring thou-shalt-nots.

O Lord! We paid no attention to Who You Are: the Lord of Life! The head of the Church! The King of the Kingdom!

Jesus was into life in such a way that you either had to follow him or resent his attempt to bring you change. That’s still who he is: Someone who’s going to make you see yourself if you have ears to hear.

O Lord, we’re playing Pharisee again, Playing at church and making excuses about the real thing: Not me, Not now, Not with my income, Not with all I have to do…

Or making after-all speeches: After all, I give more than others I could name; After all, I do have five children; After all, I haven’t been feeling well…

Or putting God off: As soon as we get the house paid for, as soon as we get the kids through college, as soon as we get this painting finished….

Christ was crucified for saying, Follow me now. He was crucified for saying: You’re storing up treasures! Feed my sheep! You’re blasphemers! Love God with everything you’ve got! And don’t forget that cup of cold water.

Sweet and gentle? Meek and mind? Christ came treading into our marketplaces, our temples, our homes – even into our private person – Teaching in the temple - Preaching by the sea - Questioning religious customs - Breaking the ceremonial law - Righting injustices - Healing the sick - Being joyful in the company of friends - Calling the children - Chiding good church members - Caring for unimportant people - Seeking out the sinners.

Christ came humbling himself, came loving the poor, the hungry, the lonely. Christ came loving –This Lord of Life, this living, loving Lord.

O Lord, open our eyes to see the Pharisee within us. Open our ears that we might hear the prophecy of the possibility of change. Open the church doors that we might follow our living, loving Lord and king out into the marketplace and invite everyone we see into the kingdom of God on earth and to the kingdom of God eternal!

THE LORD’S THE KING’S PRAYER

Matthew 6:9-13
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.

VIDEO – The Mission of the Church Matters

No comments:

Post a Comment