Sunday, March 1, 2015

03-01-15 UNIQUE JOURNEY: Theme Introduction


John 14:1-6
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 

The Christian Life is a UNIQUE JOURNEY

You have a UNIQUE JOURNEY

We have a UNIQUE JOURNEY

Jesus has THE UNIQUE JOURNEY

          Notice what is not unique in those statements – the theme itself – UNIQUE JOURNEY! But something else was the same – each statement is present tense. You HAVE a… We have a… Jesus HAS the…

Journey implies past present and future and we will absolutely look at journeys past present and future, but I don’t want us to miss the point that the only reason to look back or forward is to make this present moment in our journey the very best.  Someone asks, “When was the best day of your life?” I say – “Today; because if it weren’t for today I could not rejoice in my yesterdays or look forward to my future.” Even though this moment may not be the most monumental, I choose to see it as the most important day yet on my unique journey with Jesus Christ! And I will wake, and do it again tomorrow.

Do you ever feel like you are living the same day over and over – that nothing ever changes very much?  The only way to make today really unique is for you to make it that way…like Bill Murray in Ground Hog day.  MOVIE TRAILER

When we start our journey as a baby, everything about us changes drastically every day. One day we only move, the next we crawl and the next we walk and talk. Somewhere along the line we settle for things staying the same. Until 60-70 years pass then things really begin to change again and usually not for the better – we stop walking and crawling and moving.  It seems that the Christian journey for many parallels the physical journey – we are reborn babies and grow and crawl and walk then plateau and for some even decline.  This should not be!  The Christian journey should always be on an upward trajectory.

I am blown away when a children’s director or youth director or adult ministry director seeks volunteers to teach a Sunday school class or Bible study and people who have been in SS classes and Bible studies for 50+ years say; “Well, I could never teach!” “WHAT?

Could you imagine a grandmother who has cooked her entire life – and her granddaughter comes to her and says, “Grandma, could you teach me to cook?” Grandma says, “Oh no, I could never do that!  Where is the difference? The difference is that cooking only matters for the next meal – feeding the word of God lasts for eternity.  In its simplest form, teaching is just passing on information that you have to those who don’t. 

You have a UNIQUE JOURNEY that no one else has and you can share that with others.

Where has your journey with Christ been? – Where is it now? – And where is it going?  NO ONE ELSE has the same journey as you.  Your journey is unique. Though external forces affect our journey, only we can determine where we are going and how we are getting there.  You cannot rely on your parents or pastor or friends.  You are responsible for reading the map, fueling up, and moving out to go where God wants you to go. 

Suppose Francis Hitch had not come to faith in Christ in spite of his alcoholic father, and become a pastor and responded to a call to move off the farm in Nebraska and move clear across the country to pastor a church in the big city – then his son may not have come to faith.  What if his son, Bryan didn’t follow his unique journey and develop his skills as a musician and therefore end up, as a 7th grader in the high school production of Music Man?  You say what does this have to do with anything?  Imagine if I had not pursued my unique interest in theater, I to, as a 7th grader would not have been in that high school production of Music Man that my brother, who was not into acting and not a singer ended up with the lead and Francis Hitch’s daughter had the female lead which meant both her brother and I got invited to be in the show and became good friends and eventually through that friendship God showed your pastor the reality of Jesus Christ to whom I gave my life to 3 years after meeting in that musical.

          That is just a small part of my Unique Journey.  It does not have guns blazing, or jail or drugs, but it is amazing to see how God was working, and I only mentioned a few people whom God used to bring me to faith.  You have a unique journey equally as important.  God was working in your life long before you knew it, maybe long before you were born.  I want you to begin doing some soul searching – literally and see how God was working to have you discover THE unique journey – Jesus Christ coming into the world – Jesus Christ coming into your life!

This raises a fundamental question – “Where is Jesus going – more important, Where does Jesus want me to go and where does Jesus want FirstB to go?  What is God’s Unique Journey for me – for us?

Thomas asked the same question: "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?  Before you can know how to get somewhere, you have to first know…what?  Where you are going.  Have you ever started going somewhere without knowing where you are going? Probably! Have you ever started going somewhere that you knew at the start but forgot along the way? All the time. Where was Jesus talking about going? To Heaven!  If we don’t know that is where we are going – how can we know the way?  When sharing the good news with someone, we don’t start with Jesus – we start with where the person is, where we can go – Heaven and then lay out the map and the GPS – God’s Perfect Savior – THE WAY – JESUS!

Jesus went from the finish point to our beginning point then back to the finish so we would know how to get from start to finish. If you don’t know where the finish line is, running the race is pointless.  KNOW THIS: Jesus was not sent on a divine mission on behalf of the Father.  Rather, the Father himself was and is on a divine mission in the life of His Son.  That is THE UNIQUE JOURNEY.

Jesus’ work was not finished when he left earth, it was a continuation of his work on our behalf so that our journey could get us to where he is – heaven.  John 14:2-3 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
Jesus doesn’t just show us a way to the Father – he is THE WAY to the Father – That makes our journey truly UNIQUE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment