Sunday, August 17, 2014

08-17-14 Jesus’ letters to the churches part 2

Scripture   Revelation 2 & 3

Actual announcements taken from church letters (bulletins).

1.    Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles, and other items to be recycled. Proceeds will be used to cripple children.

2.    The Associate Minister unveiled the church’s new tithing campaign slogan last Sunday: “I Upped My Pledge-Up Yours.”

3.    A bean supper will be held on Tuesday evening in the church hall. Music will follow.

4.    At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be “What is Hell?”  Come early and listen to our choir practice.

5.    Eight new choir robes are currently needed, due to the addition of several new members and the deterioration of some older ones.

6.    The Senior Choir invites any member of the congregation who enjoys sinning to join the choir.

7.    Weight Watchers will meet at 7 PM at the First Presbyterian Church. Please enter on the East side through the large double doors.

 
Last week we learned that Jesus has a special relationship with each church individually and saw in these letters to 7 churches how he described himself differently to each, related to his unique relationship with them.

          Today, we are going to dig a little further and see that 1) “I know this about you”  Jesus knows our church.  He knows our deeds. This can be a frightening thing, however, all but church 7, Jesus starts with something positive.  2) I have this against you: - Jesus will let us know where we are failing.  3) To him who overcomes - Jesus ends with a positive for those who are victorious over the things they need to change.  And once again - the reward - like the relationship itself is unique to each church.

          Notice that Jesus has given us a model for correction in love - This is what is good, this is what needs corrected, once corrected, you will be amazing.


I know this about you:

Ephesus I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary.  God calls us to be faithful as He is faithful. And he aides us: 1 Cor 10:13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Smyrna I know your afflictions and your poverty — yet you are rich!

Turn that around - Robin Williams was financially wealthy and had a family, yet his depression obviously made him feel poor in some area of life. There are people who live in poverty that are the richest people in the world.  The world’s wealth is external - the Lord’s wealth is internal and eternal.

Pergamum I know where you live — where Satan has his throne. Yet you remain true to my name. You did not renounce your faith in me, even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city — where Satan lives.

More than Ephesus - you live in the house of Satan where my follower Antipas was murdered for his faith - yet you remain faithful.  Oh, how many leave the church when times get tough???

Thyatira I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first.  This is a church that works for the Lord and grows in their service - it doesn’t cut back as so many do today.  Neh 4:16-18

The officers posted themselves behind all the people of Judah who were building the wall. Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other, and each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked.

Sardis I know your deeds; you have a few people who have not soiled their clothes.

Only a few…God does amazing things with the remnant. Elijah and the 450 prophets of Baal

Philadelphia I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.

          David had NO STRENGTH against Goliath but he has the Lord’s strength.

Laodicea I know your deeds, (and has NOTHING GOOD to say)

          There are churches that nothing good can be said about them.

***

If Jesus were telling us the virtues of his church that gathers at 9th and Shoshone what good things would he say?  (maybe have people write it down and say it.)

---------

Jesus knows our church.  He knows our deeds. This can be a frightening thing.  It can be frightening because no church gets it all right.


I have this against you:

Ephesus Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love.


Spend time, want to be with, etc.

Smyrna I know the slander of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.

Have you heard someone say, yes I am a Christian - but no fruit shows?

Pergamum I have a few things against you: You have people there who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin by eating food sacrificed to idols and by committing sexual immorality. Likewise you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans. Balaam taught wrong things and Nicolaitans teach wrong things.

Thyatira I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols.  Similar issues to Pergamum.

Sardis Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God.  My pet peeve - people who start something but don’t finish.

Philadelphia I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars — I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.  Because you have remained faithful to my word in this wicked place.

Laodicea I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm — neither hot nor cold — I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.  The biggest spiritual danger that exists is comfort. We get lazy and feel secure in our apathy.

 

What are the things Jesus might say about us that needs work?  We have lost our commitment to the church as a whole and consideration for the church future. 

-------------

Jesus knows our church.  He knows our deeds. This can be an exciting and frightening thing.  BUT, because it is His church, he ends with a promise to a possible better day ahead.


To him who overcomes:

Ephesus To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God. His original intent for us.

Smyrna He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death. Rev 20:14-15


The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Pergamum To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it. The depths and hidden mysteries of God.

Thyatira To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations—'He will rule them with an iron scepter; he will dash them to pieces like pottery'-just as I have received authority from my Father. I will also give him the morning star.  Co-ruler with the Creator and King.

Sardis He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.   Guaranteed salvation

Philadelphia Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name. Anna who worshipped day and night and never left the temple.

Laodicea To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. Stop being luke warm - get hot for Jesus and you will sit WITH Him on His throne!


Scene 1: Letter to the Passionless Church: Ephesus (2:1-7)

Scene 2: Letter to the Persecuted Church: Smyrna (2:8-11)

Scene 3: Letter to the Tolerant Church: Pergamum (2:12-17)

Scene 4: Letter to the Compromising Church: Thyatira (2:18-29)

Scene 5: Letter to the Dead Church: Sardis (3:1-6)

Scene 6: Letter to the Missionary Church: Philadelphia (3:7-13)

Scene 7: Letter to the Arrogant Church: Laodicea (3:14-22)

How does Jesus see you FirstB?  What is good?  What needs work?  Will you be part of overcoming, or will you be stuck, living in Laodicea?

No comments:

Post a Comment