Thursday, August 11, 2011

CHARACTER QUALITY # 44 Zeal

GOD’S ZEAL
2 Kings 19:31  For out of Jerusalem will come a remnant, and out of Mount Zion a band of survivors.  The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this.
Isaiah 9:6-7   For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.  7 Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this.

JEREMIAH’S ZEAL
Pashhur Ben Immer was the chief officer of the temple at the close of the monarchy and was the immediate subordinate of the high priest in charge of the police force.  He made a mistake by having Jeremiah, the Lord’s prophet beaten and put in stocks.  He thought it would silence Jeremiah but had the opposite effect.
Jeremiah 20:         7   O Lord, you deceived me, and I was deceived; you overpowered me and prevailed.  I am ridiculed all day long; everyone mocks me.  8 Whenever I speak, I cry out proclaiming violence and destruction. So the word of the Lord has brought me insult and reproach all day long.  9 But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
It is as dangerous to refuse to go when called, as it is to run without a call.  Jeremiah had a zeal that could not be contained.

OUR ZEAL
Romans 12:9-12
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.
Our zeal produces service for the Lord, by serving others.

READY FOR EITHER
If I get to live, I can live to serve the Lord by doing good deeds, tell more people about Him, be salt and light for His Kingdom, and so to live is Christ – for in Him we live and move and have our being, (Acts 17:28).  Yet to die is gain, I can have my eternal rest in the presence of my King.  So to live I can serve Jesus and honor Jesus with the life that He gives.  To die means I am with Jesus in His physical presence forever.  There’s no losing here.  How do we sacrifice?     Romans 12:1-2   Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God — this is your spiritual act of worship.

So our motto should be “ready for either.”  Philippians 1:21

     Do you have a zeal for Jesus?  Is there a fire in your bones that has to get out?  Are you willing to take up the plow or lie down on the altar of sacrifice?  Are you ready for either?

From the Heart,
Pastor Jeff Cooper

1 comment:

  1. Pastor, You made me look up some facts today. Your reference to Charles H. Spurgeon in connection with the Foreign Missions seal of 1814. I had to check. What confused me was Spurgeon's message. He wasn't born until after 1830 so his message didn't prompt the seal's motto. I finally got the connection, but it had me working on it. Thanks for the challenge. May our zeal continue to be prompted the Holy Spirit daily. Kay

    ReplyDelete