Thursday, March 24, 2011

NOURISHED: Character Quality # 24

What does it mean to be nourished in our Christian faith?

There is no end to the innovations for getting nourishment from God’s word.  We can read it, hear it or watch it – from a book, a computer, a cd or mp3 player on a kindle or nook or from our phone.  Just as the only way for food to nourish our bodies is by eating it, the only way for the bible to nourish our soul is to read (eat) it.

Check out these two scriptures about nourishment – one form the OT and one form the NT.

Ezekiel 3:1-4     And he said to me, "Son of man, eat what is before you, eat this scroll; then go and speak to the house of Israel." 2 So I opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat. 3 Then he said to me, "Son of man, eat this scroll I am giving you and fill your stomach with it." So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth.  4 He then said to me: "Son of man, go now to the house of Israel and speak my words to them.

Matthew 4:1-4     Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread." 4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

          When was the time in your life you feasted most on Christ and his word?  Why is it difficult to keep a steady diet of Christ and his word in our lives?  What gets in the way?  What best practices so you now have or have had in the past for feasting on Jesus and his word?

Peter sums up what our attitude and action should be regarding nourishment from God’s word, so that we will grow up into Christ in all ways.
1 Peter 1:23-2:3
For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. For, "All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever." And this is the word that was preached to you.  Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

BRING YOUR BIBLE TO CHURCH SUNDAY!

2 comments:

  1. I think that personally the time I feasted most on the word was when I first became a believer. I won't speak for everyone but I think this is true for a lot of people. I also tend to spend more time in the Word when going through difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate searching the scriptures like we did Sunday. Kay

    ReplyDelete