Thursday, February 17, 2011

DEPENDABILITY: Character Quality # 19

This Sunday’s scripture: Psalm 62:5-8     Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.   He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.  My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.  Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.
            Below is a great illustration I found concerning dependability.  I have added two questions at the end you may answer on the blog as a way to encourage others.  With this blog, I depend on you to read it and give a thoughtful response so we can grow together in the Lord.
When the Swallows Come Back . . .
“Yes, the sparrow hath found a house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young” (Psalm 84:3)
Church members tell me that, like their fabled cousins of Capistrano, the barn swallows come back each spring. As Jeremiah the prophet said, they know their “appointed time.”
Rapidly darting blurs of color, they busily built a nest of mud and twigs under the eaves near the main church door. One Saturday, a work-day crew member knocked the nest from its perch with water from a carefully aimed hose and then washed away the debris. “That should take care of that,” he said.
It didn’t. A week later, on Sunday, worshipers noted the nest had been rebuilt. Again, a church member destroyed it.
Within a week, the industrious birds had built a third nest. This action put the birds on the church executive board’s agenda. Some objected to the way the birds decorated the wall beneath the nest. Others said the bird’s chatter during worship was distracting. Still others argued that, as God’s creatures, they were entitled to build a nest wherever they chose.
The nature-lovers carried the day. It was agreed the barn swallows should be left undisturbed and a notice to that effect was posted beneath the nest.
I suspect that if we kept destroying the nest, the dependable swallows would spend the entire summer starting over. They had chosen their spot and, like Jesus when he “steadfastly set his face to go up to Jerusalem,” they were not to be turned aside.
If there’s a bit of contemporary jargon the church can embrace and employ, it’s the phrase, “Hang in there.” Too many in the church give up too soon. “We tried that once and it didn’t work…” is an easy excuse. “I don’t think that will work with our people…” has stopped more than one good proposal on the launching pad. To a generation wired for fast food and quick results, the 19th century poet’s admonition, “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again,” is both quaint and antiquated. The words of Edison, after another failure in creating a filament for his envisioned light bulb – “but I know a thousand ways it CAN’T be done” – no longer challenge us.
Consider the Scriptures: “Who endures to the end, will be saved” (Matt. 24:13); “No one who puts hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God” (Luke 9:62); “Be steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing your labor in the Lord is not wasted” (1 Cor. 15:58); “Do not be weary or lose heart in doing right” (2 Thess. 3:13); “Let us hold fast without wavering the hope we cherish…” (Heb. 10:23); “We count them happy who endure” (James 5:11); “[Do not] fall from your own steadfastness” (2 Peter 3:17); “Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life” (Rev. 2:10).
          Can God depend on you?  Give an example how God has depended on you or on someone you know.
          Can you depend on God?  Give an example of how you have depended on God.

From the Heart, Pastor Jeff

7 comments:

  1. I believe/know God can depend on me. God has depended on me to lead my children in the right direction. They don't always follow the right path, but they have the understanding of what the right path is and always end up, after much struggling at times, following the path that I have laid out for them.
    I definitely depend on God. Without God I would not be where I am today and would not have the faith I need to get through the tougher times of life. I depend on God to help me with personal, family, work and other situations that I need more help than I can do myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me; immediately this verse came to mind...1 Cor. 12:9 says, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
    I guess I can answer both question with this. I know that God can depend on me, for even in my weakness, He is glorified. I recall where I had not done what was right. After conviction and repentance, God gave me the opportunity to do what was right and He showed mercy and grace and He was exalted. I felt renewed and learned that I can always depend on God, for His ways are better than mine; therefore, I strive to submit (be dependable in all circumstances) and GIVE GOD THE GLORY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an up lift and example you provide (Paul and Teresa). You are showing dependability by simply responding to this blog. We are a body growing in Christ and this is an awesome way to connect with one another and extend the message beyond what is preached Sunday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading the example and the questions made me think of how God has endured in my life! So God can depend on me to continue seeking His plan and will for my life! It seems to be ever changing... I can depend on God to lovingly answer me when I seek Him. He also will reveal His touch in my life even when I didn't seek Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being available parallels being dependable. If I am available to God He can depend on me. But my dependability to complete the task requires that I depend on Him. It's almost a circular discussion in my mind. One doesn't occur without the other. God cannot depend on me, if I don't depend on Him. The best example I can think of right now of God depending on me was when I accepted the position at Magic Valley Christian School and continued to stay there even during difficult times because I believed that was the ministry God had for me at that time. I can always depend on God to carry me through anything--difficulties raising less than ideal children, rocky roads in our marriage, poor decisions in finances, not selling one house before having a second one, renters moving out, losing a job...the list is endless. God is always dependable. "May God himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole, put you together—spirit, soul, and body—and keep you fit for the coming of our Master, Jesus Christ. The One who called you is completely dependable. If he said it, he'll do it!" 1 Thess. 5:23 The Message
    Kay Callentine

    ReplyDelete
  6. God can depend on me but I know He had to wait for an awful long time to finally get that out of me. He depended on my parents to raise 5 girls the way He wanted them to and despite the paths we all went down He has waited for all of us to figure things out. Me especially. Through all the changes in my life in the last year I have depended soley on Him to get me through the trials and He made me a happier, healthier more thankful Christian along the way. I went through the anger of being unemployed but then He showed me the way He wanted my life to go not the way I wanted it to be. I praise and thank God for being the ever present "Constant dependable" God of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome comments and thoughts. It makes us realize we all go through difficult times, times where we have to depend on God. It also makes me see that we depend on God when everything is good - we depend on his mercy and grace, his ever present love and joy, and when needed, an ever present help in times of trouble!

    ReplyDelete